Chapter Thirty: A Delicacy Called 'Tea'

Tea is a great delicacy. We deserve every sip of this treat. That is why the next day Shatu and I visited the Village games again. The same Hajji sent us tea with bread again but this time he did not request to see me. Perhaps because the last time I did not wait for me.

Today, He just kept looking at us like a creep, when ever our eyes will meet, he will give me his sheepish smile that makes him look like an ancient moron. I will just look away. But when he sent the tea, I looked at him and smiled approvingly. I saw Ameena stalking us. The weird ugly girl. She must be jealous.

Then, like lighting, without warning, I saw Mudi appear in the village Square. He did not see me, so I quickly gulped the remains of tea in my rubber cup and handed the cup to Shatu. I made my way over to him. We started talking.

Like the weirdo Ameena is, she appeared in front of us. With her devilish smile.

"Hello, I trust you are enjoying yourselves, good evening Mudi"

Well everybody know everybody in my village, but why does she has to be a creep.

"Hi" he simply say with a smile.
I ignored her.

I thought she will go away but she didn't seem to plan on moving.
"Ameena, don't you have any place to go? Can't you see we are talking! " I almost shouted"

"Oh sorry, I'm about to leave anyway. I just wanted to ask whether you want me to return you tea cup to the tea seller."
I was dumbfounded. I opened my mouth to speak but no words came out.

"Never mind, since you are now a regular customer of the tea guy, I suppose you will rather take it yourself. Let me not become a busy body. Sorry! Anyway have a great night my dear friend" she concluded with her evil grin. She walked away.

I did not reply and she simply walks away.
This girl never quit. I will have to teach her the lesson of her life. She had forgotten who I am. I will do her a favor and remind her. I will remind her in a way she shan't forget.
"Since when did you became a tea drinker?" Mudi inquires in a calm tone

My heart was pounding non stop, I couldn't control the beating of my own heart. That moment, I thanked God for the blessing of a rib-cage otherwise my heart would have ripped my skin and fallen out. I did not know what to say, I don't want to lie to Mudi and I did not want to lose him. I was torn between two difficult options. I wiped a drop of sweat that'd unconsciously formed  on my fore head.

"Hmmm haaaa" I laughed anxiously
"Who doesn't like  tea?" I questioned In an anxious high pitched voice avoiding his eyes.
I hated deceiving my Mudi, but I had no choice. At least I did not lie to him. I just did not disclose the source of my delicacy. Besides, he never asked.
But it still hurt me, I felt like I had betrayed him.
I don't know what will happen if our eyes met, I know I will have to tell him the truth. So I avoided his beautiful eyes, the eyes that give me solace, the eyes that mesmerize me, the beautiful eyes that give me hope.
"Okay, it's getting late. I have to head back home, enjoy the rest of the night my dear, and when you go to bed today, dream of me" He said with a wink 😉
"You bet!" I replied as I giggled.

I headed back to where the girls were, when Ameena saw me approaching she started packing her merchandise in a hurry.

I wore a ruthless expression, I was not going to show her mercy, death to the girl who wishes to ruin my relationship with Mudi.

I quicken my pace and pulled her back forcefully until she lost her balance and fell. She held her tray tightly on her bosom, like her life depends on it. I yanked the tray from her. She tried to hold the tray, but I swiftly kicked her down. I know Ameena loves money to much, to hurt her is to take her money. Let's be honest, we all love money but Ameena's obsession with money is on a whole new level. Her devotion and worship of money is Slavery. Losing 5 naira will hurt her more that slapping her mother. But that is just a theory I came up with, somebody needs to test the theory and prove my point. She is a girl who will do anything for money. Her every trouble and hardship can be compensated in monetary terms. Her father died when she was 8. By the time she clicked 9 her mother made her financially responsible for her siblings. She had two younger sisters and a brother. Every Eid festival(Muslim celebration) she buys clothes, shoes and earrings for them. She had been working in towns before Halimatu swore to never take her back because she is an unrepentant thief. Now she hawks and trade to help take care of them.

I held the tray I snatched away from her and held it in my hands, she came for it but I dodged. In a matter of money Ameena is not one to give up easily, it was not in her nature neither is it in her DNA.  She followed me again, she was relentless. I turned around so I back her now, I pushed her with my butt. But she encircled me with her arms trying to get hold of her tray. I put the tray down in front of me and pushed her as hard I could. Which made her fell and landed on her butt with a thud. 'Ouch' that must have hurt, I thought to myself. But that was the point of it all, to inflict maximum pain on her. She tried to get up but couldn't. She tried again and she was finally up. I shouted :
"Shatu, hold this pest for me"
Shatu gripped her arms from behind and held them tightly in her back. She kept struggling to get free.
I now addressed the girls

"Who wants free peanut and tiger-nuts? Today is a day of alms, a day of sharing and loving each other. On the count of three it shall rain peanuts and tiger nuts. Fastest hands get the best of it. Don't say I never did anything for you girls."
The girls applauded happily and roared my name.
Ameena was still struggling but she is no match for Shatu.
"1,2,3" I shouted
I threw the content of the tray upwards, the girls ran in chaos and picked while they laughed happily. I threw the tray beside me. Shatu let her go.
Ameena just sat there trying to keep the tears at bay. Her eyes welled up. The tears betrayed her for they now run down her cheeks she sobbed silently covering her mouth. When our eyes met, she tried to feign strength. She removed her hand and stopped sobbing but the tears still flow.

"I thought you liked smiling? Where is the spirit? No smile? Don't be such a baby" I said laughing.

"Somebody ruined my mood, let's get back home Shatu. " I continued.
I strolled majestically.
On our way Shatu asked me what was that about, I filled her in. We laughed. It was a good night at least. Next time Ameena will know better not to step on a vipers tail.