CHAPTER 18 : THE FAREWELL

It was settled. The in the next two days I will go back to town. Laraba gave us short notice. We were going to be taken together with Rabi and her gang. The things I will do for Mudi. For he is my motivation, my reason for conceding. Every time I remember I am going back to town, I felt heaviness in my chest. It felt like I was being stabbed by 100 invisible daggers in my chest. But what choice do I have. My only ambition was to have Mudi as a husband, the way to achieve it is going back to town. Sometimes I will tell myself perhaps this time it will be different, maybe I will be lucky like the newbie but who was I kidding I was never lucky when it comes to that. I will laugh at my stupid talk and forget about these illusions.

Then out of the blue, Something momentous happened. Two days before my trip, young likita came to our house and said,

"Ladi there is a man outside waiting to see you. He asked me to call you".

Who could it be? I wonder I know my Mudi doesn't visit me, I was the one who always did the pursuing and I'm not complaining. My curiosity got the better of me. I carelessly put on a vail on my head and headed out. Imagine the delightful surprise I had. It was Him.
It was like he was not real, am I hallucinating or is this actually happening, I rubbed eyes and pinched myself to make sure I was not dreaming. It was real, there he was standing, The light to my darkness, my knight in shinning amour. He wore a  sleeveless traditional top that reached his knees, exposing his well sculpted masculine arms, his neatly shaved hair allowed his newly bald head to shine, he was the personification of beauty and elegance mashed together. I walked to with a quickened pace, almost running, when I was 25 inches away from him, I stopped in my tracks, panting. The living work of art smiled exposing perfectly placed set of pearl white teeth. Our eyes were locked in a graceful romantic gaze that neither of us wanted to brake. Time stopped for a while, the butterflies in my belly went haywire. I inhaled the   Sweet view of his manly effortless beauty.

He brought me out of trance when he said "masoyiya Ladiyo" . I couldn't help grinning. 

"The love of my life! What are you doing here? " I said with a chuckle

"To see you, I missed you" he replied, I smiled while I averted his gaze. My eyes was fixated on the floor. I felt a shyness I have never felt before. Sometimes Mudi makes me uncomfortable. Uncomfortable in a good way. Mudi always makes me feel good. No matter my mood once I set my eyes on him, I feel nothing but happiness. All my problems melt away  for that brief moment I am with him. I love getting lost in his gaze, I love watching him no matter what he is doing. Mudi's presence is always a pleasure
.

We started talking, I told him I was going to town. I got tired of standing, then I squatted. Being the romantic handsome stud Mudi is, He squatted beside me also. There was little space between us, my heart rate increased rapidly and hard, I could swear Mudi could hear my heart beat. I looked at him briefly, and boy that mocha skin of his was truly tempting to touch, Lord help me, so many unchaste thoughts. I wonder how a man can be that mesmerizing.  Even my heart is aware of his presence. Conscious of his watchful eyes, I carelessly pulled my veil back to look more attractive, I smiled my seductive smile and finally looked at him, I met his sensational eyes , with his insanely beautiful eye lashes. I then said "my heart, before I go to town, I want to give you a gift, so that you will always remember me, I had bought it already. Wait here let me go and get it for you"

I went inside my home and brought a ring I had bought for him days ago, I had blackmailed my mum into giving me the money, since she desperately wants me to go to town she complied easily. I came back with it.
Then I said to him " promise me Mudi, you shall always wear this ring as a symbol of our love. Do not take it off. Once you have it on, I will be assured of your love. I want it to still be with you when I get back. It will always remind you of me. As for me I carry you in my heart, I do not need reminders. Every heartbeat of mine echoes your name. Be rest assured that I will always love you" I said batting my eyelashes. I felt a lump in my throat and a bitterness in my heart. I was afraid. Afraid of how much I was going to miss him. But I had no choice, things were beyond my control, one thing was certain, I had to go. It was the hardest decision I ever had to make. I find comfort knowing that I'm doing this for us, Mudi and I.

Mudi being the sophisticated man he is did not answered, he kept quite and held the ring, I had lost all hope he will agree with me, I turned my face away, he softly pulled the edge of my veil, which made me face him heads on, then with a calm demeanour he placed the ring on his engagement finger, his eyes never leaving mine. He finally spoke " good luck Ladi, come back to me soon, I cherish your love, I will miss you" he said smiling

"I have to go my bride to be, safe trip in advance" he concluded with a soft smile.

What pained me the most was that I had no idea when I will see my village champ next.

Okay was all I managed to say. I wanted to cry, but I wanted to be brave at the same time. As I watch Mudi's beautiful back fade in to the horizon, my smile was quickly replaced by hot tears of anguish. Lips trembling I went back home and threw myself on our worn out mattress as I let nature take its course.