CHAPTER 8: THE ESCAPE

Malama Ara'ayta was a stout woman who walks with an air of a monarch. She commanded respect like a saint and was lavish in prayer like a monk.

Her house was big. It is a three bedroom flat, it has two living rooms although Most houses in that area are smaller, two bedrooms mostly. The space between the houses is small, so much so that a woman may converse with another while each was within the confines of her house. Women will call out, please may I borrow your frying pan? May I borrow this, may I borrow that. They like borrowing. There were two adjoining rooms located at the entrance of the house. One was reserved for seeing patients and the other was occupied by Malama Ara'ayta's Son Wa'alamu. He was a man of 23 years who follows his mother's footsteps. He will soon be traveling to Sudan to further his education. Her other three children, all female are married. They don't live in the house anymore but they visit.

Woman swam around her from morning to night looking for guidance and help. She is also a skilled herbalist who cures ailments peculiar to women and other sexual related deficiencies. Sometimes the women even come with their husbands. Women who were yet to conceive frequented her. She is a woman of great importance and revered highly by members of her community. When she sat on a chair, nobody dares sat on an elevated place, the floor was more than enough for everyone. When people spoke to her, they kneel down and lower their voices out of respect. Eye contact was reduced to the minimal. When she jokes everyone laughs out of obligation not because the joke is funny. For Malama Ara'ayta was never bestowed with the gift of jest. Her jokes always come out haughty or a little offensive. Yet we all laughed.

Working for Malama Ara'ayta was different. She was like a queen in her castle. There were rules of hierarchy. I reported to another older maid, who in turn reports to Malama Ara'ayta's sister. Her sister was the one who had direct contact with her. She was the one who gave out orders to us.

Part of my job was grinding herbs, doing the dishes, sweeping, taking out the trash, washing the toilets and washing undergarments.

The older maid cooked, buys groceries and massaged Malama Ara'ayta's feet. In her spare time, she likes sitting beside Malama Ara'ayta and praised her as she deserved.

The problem was that Nothing you do is ever enough. They managed to find fault no matter how minute in a perfectly done job although they were very messy people. Malama Ara'ayta's sister was a harsh woman. She was irritable. When she gets upset she slaps or hits me. Everything had to be done according to her taste. Displease her and get a sore body. There was no time out, we had to work with the sore body.

I missed home, the fresh air and the companionship. More importantly I missed Mudi, I missed my dear Mudi. I missed the sight of Him, I missed seeing his gorgeous smile, I missed seeing him talk or interact with people. I know we were never talking buddies, yet I missed his voice. What I will give to have another conversation with that highly spirited man. I could feel the distance separating us.

Missing him was like an aching emptiness I could not shake off. it was like I have this hole in my heart that cannot be filled with anything but him. I constantly feel this hollowness that cannot be satiated with anything but the presence of my beloved. Sometimes I wonder if he thought of me.

But it doesn't matter, soon he will realize I am his soul mate and that we are destined to be together. Nobody escapes his destiny. So I smile at a certain future with my beloved.
I wanted to grow wings and fly back to my beloved. I was like a girl on the edge of the cliff contemplating suicide, a simply nudge will do the trick.

Yet I resisted the urge to go, because working for Malama Ara'ayta felt right, perhaps I will be blessed for serving such a pious woman. After all Malama Ara'ayta was generous in her blessing. Kids were not left out, even babies. Malama Ara'ayta is a munificent blesser. Perhaps she might bless me also. Mudi and I need blessing for a beatified future. I needed all the help I could get.