Chapter 31: My Hearts Keeper

I had been happy and healthy since our incident with Ameena, my mother is a fierce woman who can handle anyone in the village. So Ameena's mother did her usual rant and had to succumb to defeat. At any rate, her daughter deserved every bid of what I did to her. I don't regret my actions. In fact, when ever I remember the occurrence, I can't help but smile with pride.

I planned on seeing my beloved that day, I had no clean clothes to wear, I washed a set and waited for them to dry. I was lucky it was a bloody sunny day, they dried up within minutes. I have to be impeccable to keep Mudi's interest in me. I contemplated going alone but I decided it's better I get Shatu, so that if He is not in the Village market we can just go to his house. It was mid day, probably too early to go to his house. But I don't mind, I want to see him, and so I will. Maybe I will try and see him in the late evening also. I can't get enough of him.

I heard a Salam to which I answered to. It was Shatu, just the girl I wanted to see. Perhaps it is a sign I was on the right track. Yes! Her presence must mean something, luck perhaps. Today, She is my good omen.

We sat and mapped out our itinerary for the day. By the time we were finished, my clothes had already dried out. I dressed well, and applied my makeup. Shatu watched me as I got ready.

We sun was at its climax, the heat penetrating.   The breeze was still, even the trees must feel the heat. We walked to the village market in silence. The heat took the life out of us I guess.

When we reached the market, girls sat under the tree shades with their trays and plates beside them. I saw Maryam sitting alone, so I thought of asking her about the whereabouts of my Mudi. I walked over to her with the biggest smile I could muster and said "hi"
"Hello" she replied flatly
"I was wondering if by any chance you've seen Mudi today" I asked
" do I look like Mudi's keeper?! " she said
"look over there in the circle" she said again pointing to a group of young men that sat in a circle.

I looked and behold he sat beautifully there. His skin shone and sweat dripped from his forehead.His hands outstretched lazily on his thighs and palms open as if defending himself from the penetrating heat. He wore a short sleeve shirt, which reveled His well sculpted muscles that shone beneath the blazing sun, as if trying to emphasize his evident masculinity. Even a midst all that men, Mudi stands out. His Charisma is out of this world.

"Thanks" I said to Maryam before walking away .

I went near the circle Mudi sat, and flashed him my heartfelt grin. He just looked at me expressionless and turned away. It was like I was nothing to him, like he had never seen me in his entire life. I walked a little closer and whispered "Mudi" he looked at me, no wonder to prove he heard me well and again looked away. I came back to where Shatu was standing and chatting with a girl, I caught her arm and dragged her aside without even excusing myself. "What?" She asked a bit irritated.
"What's wrong with Mudi? I called him and he looked at me and totally ignored me. I need you to call him." I replied

I would have thought she will move, but she stood there.
"Why are you standing?" I asked
"Maybe it is because of the rumor that has been going around,"
She said
"What rumors?" I asked eagerly
"I only heard right now, when we were conversing with Tani. It appears everybody knows except us. People have been saying you and Hajji Shatima are romantically involved. That you like him and that he is your new Mudi and that Hajji had even communicated his interest in you,  to your father"

My blood boiled, anger cursed through my veins as if I will explode. How can people be that heartless, to spead such nonsense.

" I know the culprit behind this. I will crush her in the must brutal ways, I will brand her and make her husband less for as long as I live" I swore as I turned to leave so I can find my culprit and let her taste a bit of my fury.