CHAPTER 9: THE RELATIONSHIP

It has been two weeks. I had properly recuperated. It was time to face my parents. Hajiya(my mother) gave me the lecture this time.

"Ladi" she says, " you know we have to raise money for your marriage one way or the other. Since you cannot stay in the city and work like every responsible girl. We have decided you are going to be selling food, we shall buy a clay bank and save the money earnestly . From tomorrow you will be selling rice and beans and  if we can raise enough money spaghetti." She added
"Ok" I said
It was settled, I will hawk to raise money for my marriage. It was okay by me as long as Mudi will be the Handsome groom.

My mother cooked the food and put it in a bucket while I carried a tray with plates, spoons, oil, pepper, salt, chopped Lettus and diced tomatoes on my head. I was off to the most crowded place in our village, the market.

I met Hajara when I reached there. She was also selling peanuts and tofu. There was something different about Hajara.
I'm not talking about her well structured butt or her fully developed cleavage. No, her character. Something About her was different. She was bolder, lacks any trace of coyness. She mingles with men freely and flirts as she pleases. They do not make her uncomfortable, rather the reverse was the case. She behaves like a promiscuous bitch. She now possesses the skills of seduction and has the aura of a temptress. Nobody will have seen that coming. Who will have seen that coming from the daughter of a man of great integrity. Malam Sadi who is known for keeping his word no matter what. His words were gold.

She doesn't call most of the men by name. No, one was husband, the other was handsome, I even heard her call someone stylish guy. She reserved my Love for some guy she clearly is in love it.

The man was one of those guys that is very stylish, fashionable and classy. He always wear those ready made clothes. He even cuts his trousers at knee level, his shirt always hugging him tightly. His unshaved hair adding to his lovely urban manliness. He swings his arms vigorously as he strides puffing off tobacco smoke everywhere he goes. People like calling him Nigger because of his urban poise, he has a deep loud voice although his speech was slurred, a true urban champ. He is so cool that before he makes an appearance music is heard from his expensive loud phone, it is said the phone was even made in China, a town that is said to be the end of the world. When he rode the bus, he doesn't wait for the driver to stop before he hops off.  He doesn't have a specific job, when a bus conductor is indisposed he steps in.

I had been selling food for a week now, the change in Hajara never ceases to amaze me. I met Mudi there but our conversation never passed a formal greeting. I wanted more from him. I wanted an ardent declaration of love. Then on of the days Hajara overstepped her boundaries she called Mudi "honey". I was flabbergasted, how dare she. I lost my temper and pulled her aside, not bothering to hide my rage.
"What the hell was that about, you skunk. What are you trying to do. Don't ever go near Mudi again, I warn you or you will live to regret it. All the other men you've been whoring arround are not enough for you, you had to get My Mudi too?!"

Just then, I relealized what I said, I just called Mudi mine. We were not even in a relationship. I've been mentally dating him, perhaps i am entitled to my claim. I just hoped she hadn't heard that.

I was wrong she heard me loud and clear, in fact it was as if it was the only thing she heard.

"Your Mudi" she said puzzled, "are you in a relationship with Mudi?" She asked " Oh my God, you rascal" she added her lips forming a smile.

" No, you don't understand, I'm not exactly In a relationship with him yet, it's just that he is different and you should not drag him into your games" I murmured.
She just laughed.
And she said "you like him, don't you?"
"Yes" I simply replied
"Come on" she said
"What are you doing" I asked
"You will see" was her reply.
She walked confidently to Mudi and said
" Mudi my honey, look at Ladi, isn't she beautiful? Isn't she lovely?" She asked,taking him  by surprise. He hesitated and then he spoke
"Yes, I guess" he said
"No, you know Mudi, such young spirited fresh girl. She thinks you are beautiful."