Chapter 6

You couldn't believe that you had finally arrived, the new chilly air of London foreign as it pierced through the light jacket your were wearing. The chilly air wasn't the only thing foreign to you; everything was new. Different shops, new people, Hell even the road rules were different! They drove on the opposite side of the street, something you had known but were still not used to seeing in action.

The journey here had been anything but easy, you could remember that much at least. Even though you had made the proper reservations for transportation for you and your stuff, the worst of luck decided to strike on moving day. A dreaded fever from a sudden sickness.

Acting like a concerned mother, Hailey had urged you to stay at the apartment and rest up for another day. However the two of you knew that it was impossible as you couldn't reschedule any of the plans you had made. Begrudgingly, you had no choice but to leave, feeling like a literal pile of crap. Thankfully, this hadn't stopped Hailey from wishing you goodbye, a final hug shared between the two of you. You promised to call her once you were settled into your new apartment, though that could be in a few days since you couldn't so much as form a sentence now that your voice giving a godawful crack.

You couldn't even enjoy your first plane ride, passing out the moment it took off. Thankfully, someone had the decency to wake you up when the plane was grounded. You had stumbled off the plane with a blind drowsiness, a veil of sickness shrouding you. You felt terrible when the ride you had ordered was forced to drive you around to your new place, a sudden cough from you causing him to look back in disgust. Wow, hopefully not all the taxi drivers were this prestigious. Flipping through your phone you gave Haley a quick text, soothing her worried mind by assuring her you had made it in one piece.

MSG Sent to Haley

Hey, I made it to the UK. I know it must be a different time for you right now, but I just wanted to let you know I was okay and that I'm going to my new apartment now. Send me a text when you can

As soon as the message was sent, your phone was given new light, buzzing up a storm.

MSG From Hailey

Oh thank God, I was hoping you were still alive by the time the plane touched down. You looked pretty rough when you left, how are you feeling now?

You felt yourself grimace at the question

MSG Sent to Hailey

Ah, not feeling any better. I think it's gotten worse; my nose is getting stuffy and my throat is beginning to hurt. Maybe I'll stop by a store if I have time tonight after getting settled in. Okay, gotta go. My cab is stopping at the place.

You didn't have time to check your phone again by the time you exited the car, handing the grumpy cab driver a bigger tip than usual. It seemed to make him feel a little bright as he flashed you a small smirk. Sure, that was good enough for you. He bid you farewell as he drove away, leaving you alone on the sidewalk with a simple bag of luggage slung over your shoulders.

You gazed up at the apartment and felt slightly disappointed. The outside bricks were word down, cracking at the edges as white paint chipped off the sides. The metal frames around the any windows were stains with years of accumulating rust, the overall scene quite unwelcoming. You slowly reached into your coat pocket, feeling around for your single key. When the sound of jingling keys rustled in your pocket, you wrapped your fingers around them, pulling them out for an inspection.

You took a deep breath when you looked down at the original grooves of metal, a new feeling of hope enveloping you. This apartment wasn't so bad, at least it was a place to stay. You silently prayed that everything had been transported by the moving company into your room like they had promised, at least then you could distract yourself by unboxing objects before running to the store.