Chapter 23

"I don't want to sound rude or anything, but your drawings were absolutely dreadful Phil! I'm sorry, but I just can't help myself!"

(Y/N) was chattering excitedly about the video she had just helped film, cackling like a madman whenever she replayed some of her favorite parts with Phil. She had admitted that her personal favorite was the sad emo pigeon, the finished results akin to a catastrophic trainwreck. No amount of edgy 2000's music could fix that aviary travesty.

"It was a lot harder than it looked! We had barely anytime to draw, much less think of a clever way to design our images. Trust me, the reason we're on Youtube isn't because of our art skills."

(Y/N) snickered loudly, covering her mouth as she tried to be polite in front of her friend. "Oh, you don't say?" Phil narrowed his eyes in mock sadness, pushing his bottom lip out into a sad pout. (Y/N) quickly turned her words around. "Wait, no! I didn't mean it in a bad way!"

Phil broke his facade and let a mischievous smile creep forward. "I'm only kidding, (Y/N). We know that we suck at drawing! This challenge though, it was quite fun. Thanks for helping us film today, it was really nice of you."

She smiled up at him, giving his a thumbs up gesture. "Yeah, no problem! It was really cool to be apart of this, and I got to see what one of your videos is like first hand, so that's also pretty awesome." Her grin suddenly faltered, her head tilting to the side as she looked around the room in confusion. She pointed to the empty doorway. "Say, where did Dan run off to? He seemed to be in a bit of a rush."

With a curious hum, Phil looked to where (Y/N) was staring, wondering where Dan went as well. "Huh, you're right. He probably just ran to get something, or he drank too much and was holding it until the video was done." He snorted, letting out an amused puff. "Honestly, it's something he would totally do. That guy has some strange mannerisms."

Seemingly satisfied with the answer, (Y/N) shrugged, her attention back towards the table in the room. "Can I look at your drawings again? I can't get enough of them, I may end up taking a picture so I can laugh about it later." Phil chuckled, extending his hand out as an invitation to survey the drawings one last time.

"Go ahead, I'll just be in the other room getting something. Be back soon!"

(Y/N) made a noise of confirmation, her eyes glued to the misshapen designs as she tried once again to hold back her laughter. Phil could feel his ears light up in slight embarrassment; It would seem that he'd have to learn how to draw better in the future so this didn't happen as often.

Phil made his way through the doorway, his eyes grazing over the flat's empty common room. Dan wasn't there, neither was he in the kitchen. With a quick glance to the side,Phil could tell that he wasn't in his room either. He smirked to himself, maybe Dan really had waited until the end of the video to use the restroom. Seeing as it was a rather lengthy recording session, Phil was impressed that he had lasted that long in the first place. With a few more steps forward, the sight of a closed bathroom door came into view.

Feeling a sudden burst of mischief, Phil decided to knock on the door and heckle his friend for abusing his bladder that long. This wasn't the first time he had done this, and each time Dan was chastised for not going beforehand. The worst when he had drunk two full water bottles right before one of their live performances; he was lucky that they had an intermission at that show!

As he was about to rasp his knuckles against the door, Phil noticed how it was slightly ajar, a thin stream of light pouring into the hallway. The door was open; Dan never made that mistake. Tapping lighty, Phil leaned into the door and called out. "Dan? You okay?" At first there was nothing, only the sound of the bathroom's fan and running water. Phil waited anxiously for an answer, the unnatural silence sending ripples of unease across his skin. This was unlike his friend, the foreignness of the situation chilling. "Dan?"