Chapter 48

It had been about three weeks since (Y/N) and Dan had finally confessed their feelings for each other, much to the pleasure of Phil. After all those months of constant back and forths, oblivious feelings and the inability to even admit their true thoughts, the two idiots had finally formed a relationship. Well, that's what Phil knew. Nobody else outside their little group was even aware of the girl who had swept Dan off his clumsy feet.

While Phil desperately hoped they would find each other, there were a few moments in which he would feel a small prick of doubt rise within himself. Would this development change the dynamic of their friend group? Would they see him as that awkward third wheel, the one who tags along and provides nothing useful to the conversation? Before they got together, that was all Phil would think about, worrying himself to sickness. Thankfully, all his fears were quickly dispelled when they hung out once more. It was as if nothing had changed between the three of them, save for the fact that (Y/N) would purposely sit a smidgen closer to Dan on the couch.

Even now as they sat together, they didn't give the impression of two people dating. If anything, they looked like the best of friends, laughing, joking and pestering one another occasionally. Phil couldn't help but crack a small smile, feeling overjoyed that they had finally managed to relax around each other now that they were honest with themselves. Yeah, they liked each other. No need to be painstakingly awkward anymore.

"Phil, stop staring into space and answer the question! You're going to run out of time if you keep that up."

Phil blinked several times, giving his head a good shake before facing the television. He adjusted his glasses, squinting as he started to read the question displayed on the screen. "Uhm..." mumbled Phil, trying to gather his bearings. "What nationality was the author who conceived the fable 'Babiole'—" The harsh sound of a digital buzzer came from the television, followed by disappointed fanfare.

A prerecorded line crackled from the screen, sounding displeased and upset with Phil's delayed reaction time. "I'm sorry, but you are out of time. Maybe a different contestant will know the answer?" His condescending tone made Phil's ears burn a little.

Beside him, Phil could hear Dan's unsure voice. "Eh, I don't really know the answer to this one. I've never even heard of a Babi... Baba-whatever." He sighed, looking at his low score. "Damn, I guess the CPU will snag this one.

"Psh," huffed (Y/N), selecting the same question with an air of confidence about her. "Then allow me to steal those points, my dears." Without hesitation, she selected an answer. It appeared to be a French author, the boys having never even heard of such a story.

"Lucky guess." scoffed Dan, crossing his arms in annoyance. Phil saw him glance at his points once more, pouting when he saw how he was in last place. Despite his minor hiccup, Phil was resting comfortably in second place; (Y/N) was currently dominating the game, her score double that of Phil's.

(Y/N) let a small chuckle escape, a mischievous grin on her face. "Don't be such a grumpy gus," she teased, poking Dan's side with a playful nature. "You'll give yourself permanent frown lines if you keep that up." She snickered like a child as she brought her attack to his face, strategically landing a finger where his dimples were. Phil noticed the wobbly grin stretching across Dan's features as he tried to keep up his mopey facade. However that would prove difficult as (Y/N) had a way of making him smile. Sure enough, the brunette was soon laughing along with her, grinning happily as they lightly bantered.

The group finished their game after a few more rounds, the victory going to (Y/N) without a shred of doubt. Dan had almost claimed second place, yet Phil's quick thinking and lucky guessing had allowed him to stay above for a little longer. In the end, Dan had to accept that he was not the quiz master he had been raving himself to be.