Chapter 36

Both you and Hailey limped back to your apartment before dark, the two of you heaving a big sigh of relief after the long day you had. Your feet were aching a dull pain, the amount of walking you did was way more than you were used to. Hailey wasn't much better as she flung her shoes to the side, throwing herself onto the futon so she could complain horizontally. "Ugh... God, my feet are literally killing me." She hung her feet over the side of the furniture, wiggling them slowly. "And those stairs didn't help much either. It feels like you're trying to kill your only guest."

"Psh, enough with that talk. I'm tired too. If anything, I was just trying to get our lazy asses moving for once." After putting away your coat, you shuffled over to the kitchen table, taking a well deserved seat so you could put your head down and relax. You closed your eyes with a sigh, happy to be able to sit. You could feel the exhaustion tugging at the back of your mind, a fruitless attempt at convincing you to call it a night. Yet you just couldn't; it was hardly 8:00pm and the night had just started. Depending on how alert Hailey was, you'd be in for one Hell of a chatty night.

You raised your head from the table, looking over at your friend sprawled across the futon- She had kicked all the pillows across the room. Reclined on her back, Hailey was looking through her phone at the various pictures of Dan and Phil you had captured earlier this afternoon. Her eyes were glued to the screen, an intense fire burning in her gaze. Everytime she swiped to see another nearly identical copy of the event, she would crack a wicked grin, wiggling her body excitedly. You felt a small grin spread across her face. You were happy that she enjoyed her first day.

Hailey looked up for a moment, studying your chairs with a narrowed scowl. She then rolled her eyes, scoffing with a disapproving tone. "Really, (Y/N)? You can't even put chairs together properly? I guess you never knew how much you relied on me when we lived together." Your smile quickly faded as you gave an embarrassed swallow. You looked at the upside down chairs, feeling like an absolute fool in your friend's eyes.

Just as quick as shame found you, it was rapidly replaced with a sizzling agitation. "I don't rely on you that much, I wanted them to look like that. I think they look cool."

Hailey gave a uncouth laugh, still glued to her phone. "Uh huh, sure (Y/N). They look stupid, the exact opposite of cool."

Phil thinks they're cool

You glared at Hailey, biting your lip uncomfortably. You looked back at the chairs, refusing to see anything wrong with them. Despite their unorthodox appearance, you were always filled with warmth when you saw them. They were strictly happy accidents. Especially this one, your absolute favorite; his name was Jonathan

Giving yourself a few seconds to calm down, you swallowed the remainder of your heated words. Hailey was allowed to have her own opinion. It was natural for people to disagree sometimes. Though you admit that this was one of the first times Hailey had gone out of her way to completely bash something of yours without remorse. Maybe she was so distracted that she didn't realize her words were coming off a bit harsh. You nodded to yourself, deciding to agree upon this conclusion. Besides, it made you feel a lot better.

"So, is there anything you wanted to do tonight?"

Hailey lifted her gaze, thankfully turning her phone off this time. "First, I want to get into my pjs. Second, we should raid your fridge for some food to eat. And third-" She flipped herself onto her stomach, looking up at your expectantly. "We get to talk about your time here in 'Otsville. Oi, Oi, am I roight?" Her words were bent in a lame attempt to sound British. It sounded more Australian than anything.

"'Hotsville', huh? Still delusional I see." You got up from the table, tucking in your beloved chair. You shuffled towards the kitchen, embarking on a quest for delicious food. "I've told you this so many times: Just because I've moved to a place where they have European currency does not mean I've entered the realm of polite-spoken gentlemen on horseback. I don't know why you fantasize a real world country so much. It's basically the same as everything back home, the only difference being a slight change in articulation."