Chapter 46

After a few hasty brainstorming sessions, a miniature fashion trial and a much needed -albeit rather stern- pep talk from Phil, Dan was on his way to (Y/N)'s apartment for their afternoon date. Even the simple word of 'date' was enough to send Dan's stride into a giddy uproar whilst simultaneously sending him back a few steps, his pace constantly changing as he shortened the distance between him and his destination. No doubt he looked like a fool walking down the busy streets, his awkward gait most definitely drawing some unwanted attention to himself. Even when he tried to act like a normal human being, his body would soon betray him and continue to malfunction.

Thankfully, it was a rather pleasant day. The sun was radiant, a few scattered clouds whisp'd across the sky like a mark left by a rogue paintbrush. It was neither hot nor cold; the perfect temperature for an even more perfect day. At least that's what Dan kept telling himself. It seemed like everything else in the world held an air of confidence about themselves. Everyone except Dan himself.

He felt like a nervous wreck. An awkward gait, his mind in turmoil and the sense of foreboding for what was to come when he finally arrived at her flat. He kept his hands firmly in his black jean pockets, his fingers nervously picking away at the fabric slots. If he kept this up, he'd probably dig a hole through his pocket, creating even more tears than his pants already possessed. Perhaps he could argue that they were apart of his already modern style. When his hands weren't hidden by his pants, he would fiddle with his long sleeves, constantly adjusting the length of his black sweater. Sometimes he would randomly touch his hat, raising and lowering the cap without much thought. Running his fingers along the rim, he would tap at uneven intervals, radiating copious amounts of anxious energy. Yeah, he was a complete mess. But one thing was certain: his dark apparel definitely put the fun in funeral.

He could turn around now. He could text her and say something came up, some fantastical event that would keep him from ever going to her place again. Tripped over a drain pipe and fell into a construction hole? Got lost and is now stuck roaming the streets of their city? Spontaneously combusted, reduced to ash within minutes. No, Thought Dan with a disapproving tone. If I was a pile of ash, I wouldn't be able to communicate anyway. Idiot. No, he couldn't back out now. Not after getting so close after these long months of nothing. It was official; he was on his way to (Y/N)'s no matter what.

The harsh brick exterior of (Y/N)'s flat came into view after a few more minutes of twitchy walking. Along the way, Dan had to pass by a few people, their confused stares a firm reminder of how he needed to control his limbs. This had forced him to calm himself down, urging his legs to stiffen and walk like a normal person would. Because he was so focused on keeping his steps regular, the unwelcome feeling of sweat began breaking to the surface. Not only that, but the nauseating feeling of pent up nerves momentarily swept him off his feet, stopping him in his tracks as he approached the main doors of her apartment. Luckily for him, the main door was propped open by what looked like a piece of wood, the object wedged just at the bottom corner of the frame. This would mean he wouldn't have to call her down, forcing him to wait awkwardly at the entrance. Wait a minute, that means I have to physically show up at her door now. Dan gulped, looking through the door and into the stairwell. He remembered her unit number, right? It felt like he was currently drawing a nervous blank.

He wobbled his way up the stairs, checking his phone for the time. 2:34 PM.

He bit his lip and wondered if he was too early. He must have walked a lot quicker than he originally thought. Maybe he should hang out in the stairwell for a little bit and arrive closer to the time? Then again he remembered Phil's stern words, encouraging him to arrive 15 minutes early out of polite courtesy. Dan sighed, silently hoping this rule still applied for an added 10 minutes.