Chapter 43

After what felt like ages of staggering in a thick white haze, Phil eventually made it back to (Y/N)'s familiar apartment building. Standing outside the building as he awaited Dan to come fetch him, Phil leaned himself against the hard exterior of the complex and began reflecting on what had happened within the short time he was outside. Thinking back at all that had happened, Phil felt the colour drain from his face as a nauseating shame take hold of his body. He swallowed in a choked fashion, feeling as if he was trying to rid himself of the bitter bile that crept up from his throat. If only he had kept his mouth shut!

Before coming back to their friend's apartment, Phil had spent a few extra moments gathering the bedsheets from their beds, folding them up tightly in a sleeping bag roll. He shuffled around the flat and eventually located two bungee cords to secure the rolls in place. After they were rolled together tight, Phil took a pillow from each of their beds and stuffed them into the respected centers of their blankets, creating some sort of fabric sushi roll. Phil sighed as he observed the bundles he was supposed to carry a few blocks down the street, dreading how cumbersome his travel time would be. Not only that, but it would be longer too seeing as he had to avoid a certain street along the way. There was no telling if people were still crowded around the girl who had fainted on the sidewalk, making a ruckus and growing in numbers. Phil could have stayed in his apartment longer and waited for time to pass but he was in a rush to get back to his friends.

After a few failed attempts at locking his front door with blankets in hand, Phil eventually grew frustrated and let out an uncharacteristic groan, muttering ill-spirited words under his breath as he threw them to the ground. He couldn't help it at this point, he was so unbelievably stressed with all that had happened. He was worried about (Y/N), Dan, and the fact that he was so viciously rude to Hailey. He tried to convince himself that she deserved it after everything that she had done, but this only made him feel worse. Even though she had one too many terrible bones in her body, it didn't give him the right to lash out like that. He never wanted to be mean to anyone, no matter what.

Hunched over his front door, Phil fiddled with his keys until he managed to lock the door after many failed attempts. In his frustration his hands would not stop shaking. Perhaps it was the stress or the fact that he had to go back outside; his shameful embarrassment was immeasurable. He let out a shaky sigh in an attempt to rid himself of his sour mood. He straightened himself out, dragging his hands across his pant legs in an attempt to wipe off any imaginary mood dust. Hopefully by doing this he would be gain back some of his usual composure. Phil nodded to himself and reached for his fabric sushi rolls, going for his colourful one first before taking the monochromatic one in his other arm. He turned around only to jump back in sporadic fright. "Ah! Susan, you scared me!"

Standing in front of Phil with a concerned stance was none other than Susan, the elderly woman who owned the pharmacy a few blocks down. Not only was she one of the most pure women to ever live in this flat, she was also one of their most genuine and supportive fans. Not to mention one of their most kind neighbours as well! She looked up a Phil, adjusting her glasses as she looked at the state he was in. "My my, Phillip. That's quite the haul you've got there. It looks like you're about to go camping." She looked behind him at the doorway, then up and down the hallway of the flat, a disapproving tone in her voice. "Is Daniel not helping you carry all of this?"

"Ah, no. He's not here today. I was actually bringing these to him. We're kind of staying at a friend's house tonight." He shimmied the blankets in his arms up a little to get a better grasp. "They don't have many blankets, so I offered to bring ours over to their place."

Susan nodded, stifling a tiny chuckle. "Well I say, that's an awful lot for you to carry. I hope they're picking you up, who ever this friend is. I can't imagine you walking a great distance with these newfangled things in your arms. You'd look a fool outside!"