Chapter 13

The day began darken above your head, the once brilliant light of the afternoon sky slowly becoming more rich with deep golden hues. It was almost like the winter weather had been forgotten in the skies, instead being replaced with the warm, welcoming colours of a late autumn's glow. This would only last for a little while longer as clouds would surely roll in and obscure the spectacle. Yet even with the dominating display above, this didn't stop the temperature from plummeting significantly, wrapping its cold tendrils around your body.

You gave a shiver, bringing your arms around your figure in a feeble attempt to warm yourself up. Looking over, you took notice of how Phil was doing the same thing, his teeth chattering quietly beside you. Dan, however, seemed to be immune the the sudden dip in heat, his hands gently resting in his pockets while the group continued to walk around the city.

A puff from you sent clouds of white through the air, the mist dancing wildly before they ultimately faded into nothingness. Just like the light outside, they disappeared rather quickly as well. Suddenly, the voice of Phil sounded beside you, "Hey Dan? It's getting a little late, should we bring (Y/N) back to her place now?"

Dan gave a low hum as if noticing his best friend for the first time. "Oh, we can do that I guess. We've pretty much showed her all the places we know around here." He turned to you, offering a small smile. "But first we'll ask you. What would you like, (Y/N)?"

"O-oh, uh..." You stuttered briefly, trying to think of what you wanted to do. Truthfully, you didn't want this night to end just yet; you were having so much fun hanging around these two goofballs. It seemed like the two of them attracted all sorts of crazy scenarios, whether it be screaming people following them for a good block and a half to the unfortunate fate that was their Starbucks names. Everything they did seemed so... fun.

But how could you possibly say that to them now? It would seem a little clingy, no? You definitely didn't want to come across as that.

"Well... It is getting rather late. I guess I can g-" As you were drawing out your sentence, you couldn't help but notice something flash across Dan's features. Was it disappointment?

"Wait! I've got an idea!" You stopped mid sentence, turning your head to take in Phil's sudden excitement. "Why don't you come back to our flat for a bit? We can play Mario Kart! Though be warned, Dan and I are quite good at it." He was bouncing up and down like a wound up child, furiously tapping his feet together as he tried to contain his eagerness.

You tilted your head to the side, narrowing your eyes questionably. "Mario Kart? Like the one for Gamecube or Wii?" Memories of playing the racing game resurfaced, the recollection of racing against Hailey during your childhood beginning to warm your heart with fluffy fondness. Sure, video games usually weren't something that engulfed your every move like it did with some people, but you had to admit to your fair share of long gaming sessions through the night

Phil's eyes lit up, a wide grin across his face. "So you know a few videos games, eh? That's good, it saves Dan and I the trouble of explaining everything to you!" He chuckled to himself when he saw you get a little red. "Anyways, neither. It'll be on the Switch, the newer version of the game. But seeing as it's not on something you're familiar with... you still up for the challenge?" His voice was laced with mock intimidation. Though honestly, it sounded like he would burst out laughing at any second.

You huffed proudly, stopping in your tracks to face Phil, your arms placed pointedly on your hips. "Hmph, I never back down from a challenge, Phil Lester. Let's see how good you really are then." You smiled his way, ready for the challenge. He seemed a little taken aback by your shift in attitude, almost as if he didn't expect you to get so competitive.