Chapter 38

You took a deep breath, the cool evening air filling your lungs with a satisfying crispness. You walked with Hailey down the street, your stride similar to hers. You listened to her chatter away happily, her features practically shining with how excited she was for the night. Once and a while she would fuss over her dress, commenting on how lovely it was- this was about the 5th time she had mentioned this. Despite noticing how your friend sounded like a broken record, you continued to nod politely, listening with a saint's patience. "Ugh, (Y/N) you have no idea how excited I am! Drinks, socializing, boys~! I can guarantee that this night will change your life; I promise you this!"

You responded with a quiet giggle, acknowledging her words. Truthfully you were feeling a little nervous about the night, your arms crossed in a defense stance as you continued to walk down the path. Surely this night wouldn't be so bad, you were most likely feeling nervous for no reason. It would be a simple night. Hangout at the local bar, get a few drinks, mingle with some new people and end the night talking with your new friends. The night would be over before you knew it.

Looking around at the unfamiliar street you began to feel a little worried, mentally tracing your steps in the event that you got lost. "Hailey, how much farther is this bar? You said it was about a 10 minute walk, right?"

"Oh yeah. It should be around the corner or something. Thomas gave me the directions the night before. He said he'd meet us there around 9:00 pm." You pulled out your phone; It was currently 9:23 pm.

"Uh, we're running a little late. Are you sure he'll be waiting around for us?"

Hailey checked her phone as well, seemingly shocked by the time. "Damn, I didn't know we were running that late. Uh, lemme text him real quick." Your friend began to type away into her phone, her flirtatious tone still prominent through her digital words.

While Hailey had her nose in her device, you kept your eyes up in the event you saw a building resembling a bar. You swept your gaze around the dark street, taking in the unfamiliar surroundings. You hadn't been to this side of the town yet, especially not at night. Whenever you went to town after dark, you always went out with Dan and Phil. Since they knew the town so well it made you feel safe whenever you were with them. Sure, you were with somebody at the moment, but you didn't feel as secure.

The two of you rounded the corner, coming across another unknown street. You heaved a large sigh, feeling like you would never reach your destination. A sudden shiver passed through your body, reminding you how exposed you felt in the borrowed dress. Not to mention your feet were killing you, your fancy shoes squeezing the life out of your poor toes. You would no doubt have some tough blisters to deal with for a few days.

Looking ahead, you saw something that looked similar to the bar Hailey had described. You poked Hailey's arm lightly. "Hey, does that look like the place?"

"Hmm?" Hailey looked up from her phone. She squinted her eyes, staying silent for a few moments. Soon she broke out in a wide smile. "Awesome, that's the place! Good eyes, (Y/N)!" Hailey put her phone in her overcoat and began jogging towards the building. You rolled your eyes, quickening your pace so you could catch up, desperately trying to ignore the throbbing pain in your feet.

When the two of you made it to the entrance, you could already tell the place was packed. The thunderous amount of voices rattled your ears, the amplified bass in the background doing nothing to ease the noise. The tables were full of people, some with food while others were happily sipping away at their drinks. You gulped, feeling a wave of apprehension wash over you. You looked to the side and noticed how excited Hailey looked. Her eyes scanned the crowd, most likely looking for Thomas. After a few sweeping motions, Hailey nudged your arm once she found the boy. "There. By the bar stools." You looked over and sure enough there he was, chatting happily with the people beside him, a drink in hand.