Chapter 37

It was a lazy Saturday afternoon for the boys, the awkward events of the previous day keeping them locked indoors. After the unexpected run-in they had with Hailey, both Dan and Phil agreed that they should stay inside until she left. (Y/N) assured them it would only be a few more days, so this meant that it was unlikely they would starve while waiting. Another reason they were persuaded to stay indoors was because of the warning (Y/N) gave them late last night. Sometime around midnight, (Y/N) called and left a brief message for the two. She let them know how adamant Hailey had been at following them home. (Y/N) apologized profusely for how inappropriate her friend was being; she thanked the boys for being so patient with all that had happened and promised to make it up to them once this whole thing was over.

For now, there was nothing Dan and Phil could do in regards to going outside. There was just too much risk at another uncomfortable interaction. If Hailey had more constraint, there would have been a chance the four of them could get to know each other better. Unfortunately, that wouldn't happen anytime soon when looking at how obsessive Hailey could be in regards to who she was a fan of. Phil sighed loudly. It was unfortunate, really. He was always up for making new friends.

"Phil? What's with the sigh?"

"Hmm? Oh." Phil shook his head, bringing himself back to the present. "Sorry, just got a little lost in my head for a second. How are things, (Y/N)?"

A whispered reply came from the speaker phone, the familiar voice of their friend crackling on the other side. "Things are good. Hailey and I are just chilling inside for the afternoon. She's in the other room watching some Drag Race. I've already seen this episode, so it gave me an excuse to slip away and make a call." She bubbled over with a mischievous giggle. "She thinks I'm talking to my mom."

"Psh, hopefully she doesn't catch on that your mother sounds like two grown lads!" Dan was sitting beside Phil, grinning to himself with how clever he was being. Phil rolled his eyes, playfully shoving Dan's arm.

(Y/N) laughed on the other side. "I'm not even there and I can already tell that somebody got a shove. Behave you two or else I'm coming over there!"

Dan chuckled, leaning into the phone with a teasing tone. "Come now, (Y/N). We're supposed to be your mother, not the other way around." He placed his elbow on the table, holding his head in his palm while staring ahead at nothing, "So what are you and your friend up to today?"

"Well... Hold up, one second." The sound of (Y/N) shuffling in the background filled the speaker. Phil could hear the door of her bedroom open and close, various voices barely audible as they conversed. After a few moments, the sound of (Y/N)'s soft footsteps became louder until Phil could hear her shuffling back into her seat, letting out a quick sigh. "Sorry, I'm back now. What did you ask again?" Dan repeated himself once more. "Oh! Well, I guess we're going to a party?"

Both Dan and Phil raised an eyebrow, looking at each other in surprise. Phil mouthed a party? to Dan who merely nodded and shrugged. "A party?" asked Phil, repeating his silent question. "Really? I didn't take you for a party type, (Y/N)—" Dan elbowed Phil, narrowing his eyes. "—I mean, sorry! Not to be mean at all! I just, uh, I don't know. You never spoke about liking parties that much."

(Y/N) gave a stale chuckle, her voice unsure. "I've been to a handful during my first year at school, but they were never my favorite. Social gatherings are a real hit or miss with me." She paused for a second, the sound of her fingers tapping uncomfortably echoing into the phone. "I guess it won't be so bad. We're heading to a bar beforehand so it might mellow Hailey out a bit so she's not so wild with the 'male guests'."

Phil frowned a little, noticing how doubtful (Y/N) sounded through the phone. "Are you sure you want to go to this party? Who do you know that's going?" Phil sounded like a worried mother, fitting his assumed role perfectly. Dan was also wearing a skeptical face, his eyebrows furrowed together in concern.