Chapter 19

"Imperarie sibi maximus imperium est"

Two months later

When you are expecting for a time to run it goes so slow you think you are frozen. Something in that statement reminded me on that night. Amelia wanted me to help them take the throne for themselves. In return, they promised to get me out of here so Prince would never search for me or my family again.

Time. Such a statement. These two months just flew by. When I turned to another corner I was already rushing toward Mrs Gren for another lesson, for another class.

But on another one was two men I would meet in my rush in the castle. The first one I was glad when I would meet him. It was Danniel and his warm smile would just brighten my whole day. I didn't know how to explain it but the smile he would gift me whenever we would meet was something I never experienced before. It just warmed my heart.

Oh but the second one: The Crown Prince and his cold smile would make chills run down my spine.  Our relationship, if we can call it that way was hot-cold. One second he was threating me to stop seeing with Danniel, and on the other, we would meet at midnight on the terrace and talk. Well, he usually talked. I was the listener translator. His words made this world to sound horrible. He was describing the childhood he had. One one side I enjoyed his passion for some things. The way he explained to me how something was made, how he felt when the first bullet run next to his head, how he felt when he killed for the first time. Everything was so juicy, filled with details like I was there.

He was in fronts, fights, countries since he was a child. He went into the war when he was 14. Father wanted him to become the best of the best. And his mother hated him.

And he became the best. But for what price? The scars on his skin were just memories but scars on his soul. On some days I even questioned the existence of his soul.

If you wanted to get close to him it was pointless. Once when I offered him compassion for his wound he convinced me I was nothing. I didn't know him and I never will. I wasn't there when that happened so how I could offer compassion to him?

Those are some tiny pieces of his complicated character you can't understand even if you wanted. You get one layer off, just to uncover countless more, and he is not even trying to change. Sometimes I think he enjoyed in all demons too much to fight them.

No one stays normal after the war at the age of 14. That is impossible.

So I just gave up. I listened to him and placed those stories in a special part of my brain to use them in the time of need.

Days when he described his power were something or of this place. How he felt the power from inside out, the way it collects in the cells before rushing through his blood. The way it filled his spirit, drawn me to feel it on my skin.