Blond Highlights (Chapter 21.)

I had been home for two days when I got the dreaded phone call from Colby he sounded so eager too. I sat in front of the mirror in my apartment lipstick tube in hand.  I took a deep breath breath and gave the reflection a small nod. I grabbed my car keys and left the house in a dash. 

As soon as I hopped into my car my phone started to buzz. 

'Hello?' I spoke in a chirpy voice. 

'Heyy, babe!' The familiar comforting voice made a smile slip from my lips. 

'Hi, I'm just heading out now.' I said throwing a nervous laugh at the end. 

'Cool I'll see you soon then.' 

'Okay, cya.' I said trying to sound as calm as possible, when the line went dead I let out a shaky breath and began to drive. 

The drive seemed so quick, before I knew it I was standing outside the big wooden door. I braced myself and slowly lifted my fist and knock three times. Straight away I heard little yelps coming from the other side, a dog maybe even a puppy. The sight of the door swinging open snapped me out of my days. I faced a smiley little Colby I copied his expression. 

He embraced me in a hug as we made our way to the living room. 

'So this is Corey, Devyn, Aaron, Jake and Brennen.' He pointed to everybody one by one. I smiled at them all not daring to say a word. 

'And guys,' Colby continued. 'This is my girlfriend Brie.' 

Colby just saying that made me smile up at him. 

'Well hey Brie!' Corey, the boy with the man bun spoke very loudly I gave him a small wave in reply. I was so awkward, but I couldn't help it. 

The night went by pretty, the gang realised pretty quick that I wasn't talkative but they accepted it pretty quick. Which imitatively made me feel a lot more comfortable. Everyone was so nice except for one. He had hair all over the place with blond highlights Brennen I think his name was. The only person he had spoke to all night was Colby though I'd be lying if I said I hadn't caught Brennen glaring at me a couple times. 

I cuddled up on the sofa with Colby as we settled down to watch a movie. 

                                                                                             ***

I woke up with a heaving warm arm around my waist making me sit up immediately. I let out a sigh of relief when I turned to see Colby. I was in his bedroom, I must've fallen asleep while watching the movie last night. 

I lay back down on the pillow facing Colby only to see his piercing blue eyes staring at me, I couldn't help but smile. 

'Morning.' He said in a groggy morning voice which I couldn't lie was sexy. 

'Hi.' I said leaning over and giving him a kiss, Colby was giving me a wicked grin, I gave him a confused look and in response he spoke

'So you look them?' He asked eager for an answer, I thought on the question for a minute. 

'Yeah, they're cool..' I trailed off thinking about the boy with blond highlights who had glared at me the night before. 

'Who was it?' Colby sounded disappointed and I felt a pang of guilt sting the back of my mouth. I averted my gaze away from Colby. 

'I'm sure it's nothing, it's just that boy um' I clicked my fingers as if they would help me remember his name. 

'Jake?' 

'Um, no.' 

'Brennen?'

'Yeah! That's it!' I looked at Colby he held a confused look on his face. 'He wasn't bad or anything he just didn't talk to anyone, but now that I think about it neither was I.' 

I felt stupid to not consider Brennen was shy like me. Good one Brie 

'Maybe he's just shy, yeah he's just shy.' I reassured myself forgetting Colby was next to me. I continued to mutter away when Colby whipped out his phone and dialled a number. When we made eye contact the person on the other line had picked up. 

'Hey Brennen.' My jaw dropped to the floor 'Listen I was wondering if you wanted to get lunch with us?' 

Colby and Brennen muttered away for a few more minutes until Colby finally ended the conversation with: 

'Okay, I'll see you in an hour bye.' I frowned at him

'You, Brennen and I are going to lunch.' He said with a grin plastered across his face. 

'Colby! I look like a mess I can't go out in public!' I said giving him a playful nudge. 

'It's fine, we can go back to you're apartment.' He hummed while he got up to get ready. 

                                                                                     ***

Brennen didn't break eye contact with me. Colby had gone to go pay deciding that leaving Brennen and I alone was a good idea. I cocked my head to the side while looking at Brennen confused not daring to break eye contact. 

'You remind me off a dumb dog.' He hissed at me only making me smirk. I took another sip of my sprite. He squinted at me in a hating way, what a weird kid. I opened my mouth to speak when Colby came back to our table. 

'You guys ready to go?' He asked, me responding with a small nod. Brennen had been acting weird the whole lunch, only talking to Colby and not making eye contact with me once. I really hoped Colby could see that something was up and it wasn't just me. 

As soon as we parted our ways with Brennen I questioned Colby 

'Did you see the way he acted? I thought he was shy but obviously he's just a prick.' The words spilled out of my mouth. 'No offence.'

 I quickly added realising that Brennen was one of Colby's best friends. 

'Yeah, yeah I did.' Colby let out a low chuckle. 'I guess he just doesn't like you.' 

He shrugged it off like it was nothing. I was left gawking at Colby. What does he mean He just doesn't like you?