Ungrateful Uncles (Chapter 32.)

The doorbell chimed. More people had come to my house in this past week than they have all year.

'I'll go so who it is.' I sighed at Colby and he let me out of his cuddle which I didn't want him to do. My toes tapped on the hard wooden floor as I scurried along the front door. I stood on the tip of my toes to peer through the peak hole to reveal a boy with blond highlights. I widened my eyes and whipped my head around. Colby had his head cocked in confusion while looking at me. 

Brennen was the only thing I could mouth but Colby caught on quickly running up the stairs to hide in my room making me smile. I took a deep breath and swung open the door to reveal a nervous looking Brennen he scratched the back of his neck nervously,

'Uh hey Brie,' I raised my eyebrow at him and folded my arms I told him not to come over here and he knew it he turned a bright shade of pink. 'Can we talk.' 

I let out an over exaggerated sigh. 

'Brennen I told you can't come around here.' I spoke softly but sternly. 

'Please,' He pleaded 'I need to talk to you.' 

 'About what?!' I exclaimed a sudden jolt of energy shooting through me. 

'The man that came to your door.' He said in a low voice in his eyes locked onto mine. I had no choice but to let him in, I wanted to know. 

                                                                                             * * * 

I sat at the kitchen island my jaw dropped. 

'So basically you're saying the man that came to my door is your Uncle and he is a gang member.' My nose was scrunched and and my head was blurry I just had a truck load of information dumped into my brain and that was the only sentence I could make out.

'Yes Brie and they're going to get Colby weather you like it or not.' He sighed he hadn't broke eye contact with my face this whole time. 

'Um no! I should get a decision, this is my boyfriend!' I yelled pressing my index finger into the marble kitchen island. I felt like I was about burst into tears but I held it all together.   

'Yes Brie. That's all that I have to say, just don't get involved okay.' Brennen placed his cold hand on top of mine causing me to rip my hand away. I looked at him, his eyes were glossed with concern. I wanted to cry, I could've cried but I didn't instead I gulped my emotions down and spoke

'I think you should leave.' And just like that he slowly stood and he walked out his black converse squeaking on the wooden floor with every step. The front door closed gently behind him and I squeaked for Colby to come downstairs. He came rushing down the stairs leaving loud bangs behind him. 

'Colby I have neighbours.' I warned him. 

'Sorry, what happened I felt like I was up there for hours.' He whined. I sluggishly walked over to him letting Colby pick me up. I wrapped my legs around his warm torso and my small arms around his neck.  I embraced the sweet smell of his cologne and whispered. 

'Brennen told me he is going to get you.' I said it so quietly almost under my breath. 

'I know, but you're going to be safe, that's the main thing.' He whispered back his cool breath making the hairs on the back of my neck stick up. I squeezed him tighter.