"Cool as a pet rock." (Chapter 66.)

I was lying on the couch my hands covered in green paint along with my face, shirt and whatever else I could manage to get paint on. Thankfully all the paint was dry though. I was always a messy artist since day 1. My Mum would always yell at me to put newspaper or something down under me before painting did I listen? No. And when I spilt colours like bright yellow on our dark carpet Mum would lose her shit. Unlike Dad he was always cool about and then Mum would lash out on him. He'd only laugh though.
Three loud bangs came from my door. I groaned, and got up. I wasn't planning on having visitors I honestly just wanted to have a bath and go to bed even if it was only 9:00pm. I shuffled along the floor not even bothering to lift my feet off of the floor. I swung open the door.
"Hey Brie." He said. I turned my head to either side of him only to see empty halls.
"Is someone chasing you again?" I asked raising an eyebrow, to which he only shook his head and grinned.
"Nope. But uh I just need to know if anyone's visited today." He said. Now I was suspicious, why did he need to know that? Maybe he was just being nosey and decided he wanted to poke his head into my life.
"Um why?" I asked back, looking up at how awkward he was being now. He had stuffed his hands into his black skinny jeans and had a slumped posture plastered on him. He broke eye contact with the floor and caught my eye for two seconds before starring back at the floor. I sighed.
"Well Quinn came over for hot chocolates earlier on but other than you and him. No." I said still holding onto the door with my painted green hands.
"Thanks." He said softly.
"Now come in and tell me why your asking. For real." I said and he gave a nod and stepped inside.
—————
I sat on the sofa chewing my lip reading the message over and over.
"Surely it's just fake. To scare you." I said trying to reassure myself. Colby shook his head softly and placed his warm hand on my cold thigh causing a wave of goosebumps through me.
"It's Brennen's number Brie. It's okay, I'll protect you." He was trying to reassure me too. I guess it kinda worked.
"You'll get hurt though." I said in an almost whisper placing my cold hand on top of his.
"Nah." He said and I looked up at him confused. He only smiled. "Only one persons ever hurt me."
I rolled my eyes.
"Hmm was it the one who broke your ribs or the one who bruised up your whole body or the-"
"You." He said cutting me off. " You hurt me. But I guess I hurt you first."
"You guess? Colby you cheated on me." I said raising my eyebrows in horror at the words that just came out of this boys house.
"Brie I was high." I snorted at him. "And drunk."
"So that gives you an excuse?" I snapped. "What if the situation was reversed?"
"Well I'd to imagine what I'd do to that guy if I found him. We all know I lose my temper over someone I care about." I instantly thought back to that whole thing with Brennen and how it started because Brennen had kissed me or the guy from the berry picking farm and how he attacked me but was attacked that night.
"I didn't mean that."  Is all I said.
"I know." He said and squeezed my thigh before loosening his grip again. "But I don't know what I'd do with you. Probably because I can't for the life of me picture you going to a party willingly then willingly drink alcohol while knowing your on medication and then willingly making out with a dude."
"Hey I could easily do that!" I giggled. He looked at me and rolled his eyes.
"I believe it." He said sarcastically.
"Plus introverts are cooler." I said jokingly, he scrunched up his nose as if he was thinking hard.
"About as cool as a pet rock." Colby replied making me burst out laughing. Even he was laughing too.
"Well I need to shower." I said waving my green fingers at him. "If you really feel the need to stay and 'protect' me then stay but I may be a while."
"Okay." He replied leaning over and taking his phone out of my hand. "I'll wait."
I got up and he lay sprawled on the couch. As I was showering I couldn't help but wonder why Brennen was now after me after all the text did say;
You better protect your girl Bee, she's next.

Dayumm I'm on fire with these updates jk jk. Thank you for 17k reads I actual never thought the book would get this far. Anywaysss

Don't forget to vote and comment ❤️
Xx