Chapter 15

*The party*

*Jack*
People will be getting here in about 15 minutes and Ari said she'd come a little early, but shes not here. On the way home from the mall she didn't really say much. I don't know whats going on but I hope to find out. I ask Ava to text her asking when shes coming. Then I hear a knock on the door. I run over to the door andy? open it. Ari is standing there.

She looks beautiful. Shes wearing a pastel pink skater skirt with a white tank top. Her hair is straight. I open my arms and she comes in for a hug but its not as tight as her usual hugs. She pulls away and walks over to Ava. They both tell each other how amazing they look and how tonights going to be so fun. I notice Ari isn't as smiley as she usually is. I let it go and sit back down on the couch.

At about 8:15 the door bell rings. Ava jumps up to get it. She swings the door open and a big group of boys and girls are stand there. Everyone hugs or high fives Ava on the way in.

Ava doesn't really have a "group". Shes friends with practically everyone. But most of time she just hangs out with me and Walker, now Ari.

I get up and walk into the kitchen. I plug my phone into our big speakers and play music. By the time I get back out to the living room its packed with people. There are freshmen and seniors, even though were going into Junior year.

I look through the crowd to find Ari. Of course shes dancing with Ava. They never leave each others side. While Im looking at Ari I don't realize that someones was tapping my shoulder.

I turn around to see, Mackenzie, the girl from the mall. Mackenzie was my "girlfriend" in 9th grade. I walked in on her and an older guy making out. She saw me but kept on sucking his face. It was not a fun relationship she was not very nice to me so I was happy to end it. Now all of a sudden Mackenzie is getting all touchy to me. I bet shes jealous of Ari.

She says "Heyyy Jack"
I quickly say "hi" back and try to walk away. She grabs my hand and pulls me close to her.
"Dance with me Jacckk" she slurs

I smell alcohol on her breath. Ew. She would be the one to bring it though. Shes wearing WICKED short shorts and a see through shirt that doesn't even cover her belly button. I glance over to Ari again while me and Mackenzie are standing close. I see Ari's face drop and she walks outside. Thankfully Ava doesn't notice so I can talk to her alone.

"I have to go" I firmly say while pulling out of Mackenzie's grip. I look back to her, she looks so mad.

Before I go find Ari I run upstairs to get sweatshirt in my room for her. I walk in my room and theres a group of people sitting in a circle on my floor. They ask if I want to play confession session, I tell them maybe later and go into my closet. I pick out my biggest softest sweatshirt, its from last years lacrosse championship, which we won. I spray it with my cologne and run back downstairs.

I check the living room, shes not here.

"Hey Ava wheres Ari?!" I scream across the room

She yells back "I don't know, she was just dancing with me"

I check the kitchen to see Walker and a bunch of my friends standing around. I ask them if they've seen Ari.

"Ya she ran outside a few minutes ago, she looked kinda sad." Walker tells me

I thank him and go outside and stand on the deck. People are everywhere. Dancing and singing and talking. I still don't see Ari.

Maybe she left. I walk over to the deck railing and lean on it. I look out at the lake. I notice a figure out on the end of the dock. It must be Ari. I go down the stairs and walk over to the dock. Shes looking out at the lake all the way at the end of the dock. I sneak up on her. She still doesn't know I'm behind her. I pick her up at her waist and spin her around three times.