Chapter 17

*walker*
After me and Jack got ready, we all headed down to the dock where Jack and Ava had a speed boat. We all had our boaters license because we live on a lake.

"I call driving!" Ava yelled behind me and pushed me out if the way to get to the boat first. She hates driving when it's in a car, she only likes to drive when it's in the lake for some reason she likes to drive.

I chase after her and grab her waist from behind.

"WALKER!" She laughed. "LET ME GO!"

"How much do you love me?" I whispered into her ear pulling her closer.

"Not too much right now!" She laughed and tried to pull from my grasp.

"How much?" I asked her again.

"A lot." She said and planted a soft kiss on my lips with a smile.

"OK THANKS!" I yelled and ran to the drivers seat on the boat.

"No fair!" She pouted.

"YA SNOOZE YA LOOSE!" I yelled then Ari and Jack hopped onto the boat. We all pushed the big 4 person tube into the water and I let Ava have the drivers seat. First, Ari and Jack went together and then me and Ava went.

*jack*
I had the best time with Ari today. When we were tubing together, she couldn't stop laughing and screaming. I couldn't help but stare at her the whole time. Everything about her is so perfect. I'm falling for her hard.

*ari*
After we went tubing, I went home. I told everyone that my mom wanted me home but I actually just needed some time to myself. I wanted to write a letter to my dad and then hang out with my mom. Sometimes, she's the only one who can understand everything that's going on with me.

I walked in the front door and saw my mom at the kitchen counter cutting up a pineapple. I sat down across from her on one of the bar stools and sighed loudly.

"Everything ok?" She asked me.

"Yeah, I just have a lot on my mind." I explained.

"Everyone has bad days and problems but you can't let it stop you from following you dreams." She said.

"I'm not letting it stop me" I told her "I just get stressed and depressed."

"You'll see him again soon" she said with tears welling up in her eyes. "I rally hate seeming you like this though. You want to do something together today?"

"Ok." I said and we walked outside to the car.

We drove to Panera for lunch and both got the Mac n' cheese😍 we talked about Jack and Ava and Walker and my school and moving back.

"I'm glad you're with Jack and not some sketch fest of a guy." She laughed.

"Me too." I said and smiled at the thought of Jack.

He's so.

Perfect.

We finished our food and them went to get our nails done. I got coral shellac and she got light pink acrylics.

We got home at around 5 and I told her I was going to go upstairs to write my dad a letter.

I didn't know how I start so I just wrote all my thoughts onto the paper I had in front of me.

Dear dad,
Everything is so different since you left. I've been to so many tours and met so many people and made some of the best friends I could ever imagine. Every night, I lay in my bed and think about you. I'm so proud of everything you do for me and mom and our country. I know that I'm being selfish for wanting you to come home but sometimes, I think that might be ok; to be selfish. It's hard for me to imagine kids going through the same thing as I'm going through. I've always bought about the day when I brought my first boyfriend home and in my fantasy, you're there. I think about you embarrassing me and me turning tomato red. But that day has past without you.
The day I found out you were going to leave, I cried for hours in my room. Mom brought me a plate of cookies and did everything she could for the next few weeks to make me feel better until she just gave up. She started leaving me alone in my room and I became lonely, I shut out everyone in my life. One of those days, I found an app called vine. I laughed for hours when I went onto that app; it was real laughter, too. Not the laugh I had been faking for months.
I became obsessed with the idea that the people on that app had actually saved my life. I wanted to be one of those people who did that for people like me. You are the reason I had become a better person. I discovered who I am, and who I aspire to be.
I don't know exactly where I'm going with this letter. At first, I wanted to tell you what was happening in my life but it's turned into me telling you my life story. I know mom doesn't like for you to worry but I want you to know who I am. I want you to know how much you have affected my life in amazing ways that I could never thank you enough for.
I imagine the day when you walk out of the plane in your uniform; open arms ready to greet me.
When will that be?

With much love,
Arianna

I walked downstairs and handed my mom the envelope, already with a stamp and sealed just needing an address.

"Can you address it please?" I asked handing her the envelope.

"Of course." She said.

She finished off the address and handed me the envelope.

She cried with me as I read the address out loud, choking on the word Afghanistan.