Chapter 1: The Artist

June 7, 2018

It was a cloudy Thursday afternoon and I was finishing up my latest lavender painting on my bedroom balcony. I was always fond of lavenders for its beauty and meaning: purity, silence, devotion, and caution. Lavenders always stood out for me, but not in the form of arrogance but confidence; exuding elegance  and exuberance. They are my prize jewels in the sea of roses and daisies in my well-kept garden. I close my eyes and inhale the sweet and therapeutic fragrance it brought. I brush the finishing touches and I'm satisfied with the outcome. I stare at it for a moment checking if there was anything off.

"What do you think about this?" I look over my shoulder asking Ninurta and Chad who stood beside me as I was painting.

"Like all the pieces you've made your Highness, it's beautiful," Chad says smiling and I roll my eyes at his cheekiness. Such a kiss up.

"What about you?" I focus on Ninurta who was staring keenly on my finished painting of lavenders. It made me nervous because he was always honest with his opinions about my artworks.

"Haven't you gotten tired of painting lavenders?" Ninurta jokes and I slap his arm and he chuckles. "Well, of course, it looks great as always, but I do see the difference in technique," I smile widely knowing he would notice.

"Really?" He nodded and I grinned. "That's what I was going for! I learned this new technique during one of my lessons with Tristan yesterday and I thought I'd try it today."

     I could always count on Ninurta's comments when it comes to my paintings, he always knew what to say.

I put the paintbrush I was holding into a cup of water. I walk away from my easel and leaned on the balcony that overlooks my garden and if I looked farther I could see the village I often visited. Despite being a princess, there wasn't really anything fun to do in the castle. Well ... It was fun when I was young - the whole place was my playground - but now that I'm turning 21, I had to act prim and proper. However, that was hard because I was never like that, to begin with. I craved to feel the rushing wind as I ran around in the hills of Nura barefooted and wore a dress that didn't make me trip. Some say, my free-spirited nature, was because I was born on the first day of summer, which was the end of spring. I am aware that elves tend to reflect the season they were born in, but I highly doubt that it. If that was the case, there would only be four types of people in this world.

It was starting to get warmer these days, summer was coming and I wasn't ready. I used to be excited, but now my birthday just reminds me I have to get married soon.

"In addition to celebrating your birthday, the annual ball for changing of seasons will be hosted by us this coming summer season," my mother says as we ate our dinner all together, I nodded.

It was a national tradition to commemorate the changing of seasons every year. The three kingdoms would take turns with preparing the balls. The last seasonal ball which was spring was held in Stigary. It was beautiful, the animals came out of hibernating and the plants started growing again.

"Make sure to be on your best behavior. Prince Basil and Prince Jivan have confirmed they will be present. You'll be engaged to one of them at the end of the night," I almost choke while drinking water.

"Hun, are you okay?" my father asks and I nodded smiling at them.

Engaged?

I shake my head remembering that dinner I had with my parents two weeks ago. I knew I was going to marry one of them soon, to keep the Royal lineage going, but that was the first time she ever mentioned about it and she said it a month before summer came. I loved my parents and I knew they were just being traditional, but couldn't I, I at least choose the person I'll marry?

Why does it matter if he is a prince or a simple townsfolk, as long we love each other, that's enough, right? Oh, love, it's not evident in all the marriages of Royals here in Nura. Yes, they did learn to love each other at the end, but hearing the story of my mother and her first love who was not my father, I didn't want that for me. I may not be interested in loving or marrying anyone right now, but given the choice, I wanted to choose someone I loved and who loved me, is that so much to ask?

But that was out of the question, it was either Prince Basil or Prince Jivan and no one else. Not even Ninurta and Tristan were allowed to marry me, even though they were princes as well. They may not be The Grand Princes of Nura, but if I were to choose someone to marry even if I didn't love them to that extent, I'd choose Tristan. Tristan is not a prince to me, but my best friend, someone who is always there for me. He taught me a lot and has been by my side no matter the situation. However, marrying him would mean he'd have to defy the oath he made before the Council of Seelies and I had to protect him.

"Are you okay?" Chad asks bringing me out of my chain of thoughts. "Yes, why?"

"It's 4:26, you have horse riding lessons with Selwyn at 5," Chad reminds me and I nodded.

"I'll just clean this up, can you meet him at the gateway?" I walk back to my easel and start to gather the paint brushes I used. Ninurta, as usual, helped me put away the tubes of paint that scattered.

"As you wish, Princess," Chad said speaking formally as always and bowed before walking away. I knew it was part of his job to protect me as the princess but did he really have to talk to me that way? Ever since he became my bodyguard when I turned 18, he has never strayed away from speaking so formally. It annoyed me because we were friends before he became my bodyguard.

"Ninurta can you put –" I felt a foreign object struck on my neck and my vision goes dark, "Elira!" was the last thing I heard when everything went black.

A/N: What do you think about the first chapter so far? Curious about what happened at the end? What do you think about an arranged marriage? Would you be okay with it? Or would you go against the rules and fight for love?

Vote, comment and share this story!

If you have any questions or things you want to know about how things works in this BTSau, don't be afraid to ask. If you're shy to comment you could just privately message me.

Until the next chapter, enjoy contemplating what will happen next!

Take care always! Love you, fighting!

Eun x