Chapter 5: The Artist

Tristan smiles at me and normally it makes me smile back, but I couldn't, I was too confused, I wanted to ask him to explain everything, but I'm scared. A death curse?

"The curse –" he starts and I look at him, -"is that your heart will stop beating if you don't love anyone and if no one loves you, I'm guessing the person who wanted your heart to stop knew you didn't love anyone.

"But, they didn't know a love from a friend could prevent your heart to completely stop. Your heart is still beating because of his magic and his love for you. But Elira ..." Tristan holds both of my hands and I see the worry in his eyes, "You're still dying."

My heart sunk in my chest.

"I'm wha-what?" the tears spilled out, "Tris, you said my heart is still beating because he loves me as a friend, what more does he have to do?!"

"It has to be more than a friend Elira," I shake my head.

"But why?!"

"The combination of his magic, the gesture of the kiss, the effects are temporary, unless you fall in love with someone and they love you back, a kiss from them will remove all effects of the curse, but until then you're ..." I couldn't believe what he was saying, I brought my hands to my face, trying to stop myself from crying even more.

"What about you? Can't it be you?"

"It doesn't work like that. I love you, but not in that – "

I shake my head, –"not in that way."

"Elira," Tris reaches for my face, but I just look down, trying to calm myself. I grip on the bed covers, feeling defeated.

He pulled me in for a hug and we stayed like that, as I cried into his chest.

"It's not fair," I said feeling weak and he continued to rub circles on my back.

How could this happen to me? Is this some kind of sick joke so I would force myself to love someone? Why? Why would anyone want to do this to me?

"Tristan, I-I can't," I shake my head at the idea, "I don't want to die," I looked at him and he pulled me closer to his chest.

"We'll figure something out, I promise," He said kissing the top of my head, but I couldn't calm down.

"But –"

-"everything will be okay."

A/N: Hey, I hope you're enjoying the story so far, don't be shy! Comment your reaction towards the things happening!

Now that you know more about the curse, how do you feel? Does it explain why Ninurta had to kiss Elira? Do you think Tristan will ever admit his true feelings? What's stopping him when Elira's life is literally at risk? Do you guys have an idea why Elira is cursed? (Besides it being part of the story plot of course). As for now, what do you guys think of Elira's personality?

Take care always! Love you, fighting!