Chapter 78: The Unknown

"How did you find me?" I stare at Ninurta standing outside my house - well the cottage I grew up in.

"I didn't, she did," Ninurta stepped aside to show a person wearing a cloak. They put their hood down and it was Elira.

"Princess Elira," I bowed my head.

"You don't have to do that. It's just me," she said and I slowly looked at her.

She had a kind smile as always, I didn't deserve it.

"I'm really sorry," I avoided eye contact, "I didn't want to do what I did to you, I was just –"

She embraced me and I stood still, "I'll accept your apology if you come to Tristan's ball," she pulled away a smile still on her face.

How could she be so kind?

"I don't think anyone would want me there," I said and she shook her head.

"I want you there, Tristan wants you there, everyone does," she said looking at Ninurta and he nodded.

She handed me an envelope, "It's a proper invitation."

I look at the envelope that had a royal symbol, a ball, I was invited to a ball.

"You better come! Or I will never forgive you," she giggled, "Take care!"

I watched them get on their horses and run out from my sight.

I was outside the castle gates of Stigary. I watch as people go inside.

"Do you have an invitation?" a guard asks me and I nodded.

I give him the envelope, "You may come in," he said giving me back the envelope. I nodded and walked in slowly in the castle courtyard. There were people lining up to enter the castle.

Why did I even come here? Was it because I really wanted to be forgiven?

I continue to walk, making small and slow steps. What if they just wanted to expose me as someone who cursed Elira? Maybe it was a kind of trap, but even if that was the case, I should be punished for what I did.

"Viola!" I freeze and slowly looked to my right.

Elira who looked beautiful as always came walking towards me, "What are you doing out here?" she asked.

"I ..." she shook her head.

"Come on, the party is inside," she looped her arm with mine and dragged me inside the castle.

"Why are you being nice to me?" I asked as we entered the castle. There were people greeting Elira left and right, they stared at me. I look away, do they know I cursed Elira?

"Because you're my friend," she said and we reached the ballroom doors.

"After everything that I did. Y-you still consider me as your friend?" I asked and she nodded.

She was too good.

"You may not have made the best decisions, but you regret them don't you?" she asked and I nodded, "Then that's all I need to know."

She gestured to the guards to open the ballroom doors and the party was already on-going.

I look around and see faces I didn't know.

"I shouldn't be here," I said about to let go of Elira and she just held onto me.

"I'm not letting you run away again, you did that when we were kids," she said and we were walking closer to Tristan.