Chapter 5: Confusion

"Holy crap are you okay Mike?" He's looking at you with wide eyes.

"Yeah..yeah..just-" He starts. Then he bursts out laughing.

"Did- did- you see..h-h-him waddle away?" He laughs.

'Wha-...yeah,yeah I did." You chuckle.

"Did you see his face? He looked constipated!" He manged to get out before dying of laughter.

"'Gonna....get....you'" You mock.

This makes you both fall to the ground of laughter. 

"'sCrAm wHeELer'" He wheezes.

"'i'D liKE tO sEtTlE aN aRGuMenT'"

"'aLoNE'"

This continues for some time, but Mike checks his watch. It's almost midnight. You really need to get home. You begin walking again, occasionally hiccuping from all the laughing. You get that same feeling you got while watching Mike play D&D. You now have a sneaking suspicion what it is now, but you push the thought as far away as possible from your mind. No.

"So how'd you even do that?" You ask.

"What?"

"How'd you finally stand up to Troy?"

"What makes you think I haven't done it before?"

You raise your eyebrows.

"Honestly? I really don't even know. I don't know what's any different this time. He's been a jerk to us since like...well, as long I can remember really."

There's a couple moments of silence. You both try to understand how he just did that.

"But anyways, that was a nice kick! I mean it looked like he could barely breathe!" Mike says.

"Yeah, that was the objective." You laugh. Then you remember what you were talking about before Troy showed up. "I guess 'people like me' know when to deliver a nice kick to the stomach."

"What do you mean?"

"You know, the people that hang out with the 'school nerds' and everyone is shocked?"

"Oh yeah." He says, looking at his feet.

"I'm serious! What do you mean,'people like me'?" You demand.

"Nothing, never mind."He says quickly.

"Dude, seriously. Now I'm curious."

"I don't know, girls? All girls usually steer clear of us."

"You know, not all girls are the same." You say hotly.

"I didn't say that."

"Then what do you mean 'people like me'?"

"I meant pretty girls who aren't two-faced pigs, obsessed with who likes who! I mean girls with a personality, I don't know, who aren't like everyone else!" He says. Then he covers his mouth. 

"Forget I said that."

"Forgotten."

You both walk alongside each other, not daring to speak. A few minutes later, you're home.

"Thanks for the walk, Mike. I'll see you around." You say, pretending to be busy with the gate.

"See you." He says, sounding as if Christmas was canceled

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You don't really do much over the weekend. You'd  usually hang out with the boys, but you don't really think you'll ever be able to talk to anyone ever again. Not to be dramatic, but you're probably the most confused you've ever been. You only leave you're room for food and bathroom.

You replay his words in your head. You remember them perfectly.  

  I meant pretty girls who aren't two-faced pigs, obsessed with who likes who! I mean girls with a personality, I don't know, who aren't like everyone else!

He totally didn't mean that, you think. 

But what if he did? You can't read his mind, says another voice.

It's like this for the rest of Saturday. You wonder what the hell you're going to do on Monday. You don't think it's ever going to be the same between you and Mike. You're pretty bummed out about that. You felt something special with him, he was just so easy to talk to. You haven't even known him for long, but it feels like you've just lost your best friend.

At least you don't have to confront him for another day.