Chapter 15: The Lake

(A/N: Don't play the video yet)

You arrive  in minutes, throwing down your bike and slowly climbing the magnificent oak tree. When you get to the top, you dangle your feet off the edge of the tree for the first time. You grin as you remember the first time you came up here with Mike. You kick your feet back and forth, still smiling.

As the sun rises midway into the sky, your stomach growls with hunger. You frown and take the rope down. As you ride through town, you stop in a local fast food place and get a salad.

You make sure the lid is on tight and stuff it in your backpack, along with your super comm. You ride back to the tree and climb up again. You eat your salad while admiring your Christmas gift. 

When you're finished, you stuff the container back into your backpack. You're bored. But you'd rather be here than home, even though it may be a little chilly.

It's pretty refreshing, being up there. You're pretty much there the whole day. Have you mentioned you're bored?

When your new watch reads three o'clock, you figure you should probably get going. But then there's always that thing you have to do before you leave. What's it called...oh yeah. Getting up.

So instead of leaving, you sit there some more. Still dangling your feet, you stare out into the clouds. 

"Geez, how long have you been up here?" says a voice behind you.

You jump and turn around to see Mike.

"Dammit, don't do that." you snap. 

"You loved it." he says matter-of-factly.

"Nope." you say, lying down with your legs still over the edge. "Not at all."

He sits down about a foot away from you. "So, what are you doing?"

You shrug. "I don't know."

He rubs his chin. "Interesting. Interesting." he mumbles to himself.

"Dork." you mutter.

"Yes I do like pork, thank you for asking." he says.

You roll your eyes.

"No, you've seriously just been sitting here the whole day?" he asks.

"Yep." you reply.

"Um, what do you want to do?" he asks.

"I don't know." you say.

"Really? You seem to know everything lately." he responds.

You sit up. "Got it. You need to be anywhere?"

"Uh...no. What's up?"

"Follow me." You attach both of your harnesses and jump off.

"Holy shit, you're fine with this now?" you hear behind you.

"Yeah, not so bad anymore." you yell back.

Once you land on your feet, you hop on your bike and start riding. "Come on!" you tell him.

"Right behind you." he says.

You ride along the sidewalk to a forest.

(A/N: Now play the video above)

"Nice trees." he says.

"I know. Wait, you have your super comm on you?" you ask.

He takes it out. "Yeah right here, why?"

"Questions later. Any other electronics?" you hush, grabbing his radio.

"Uh..no. May I ask again, why?" he questions.

"Nope. Keep walking." you tell him.