Chapter 10: Ice Skating

I wake up and it's still dark outside--five in the morning. I feel completely awake and alert. My parents still aren't home, but they left a note I found last night:

Mike,

          Your father needs to be at a job meeting 6pm, and I need to be there. Holly's with us, and Nancy is at Ally's until Sunday night. We'll be home Monday morning. I think you're old enough to stay home alone this weekend. There's food in the fridge, and money on the counter. Emergency money. As in, EMERGENCIES ONLY. $300. I'll know if you take any. I'm serious. You'll have the house clean when I come home. Love you.

                                                                                                                                      Mom

So I have the house to myself for the weekend. I don't really know what I'll do, but right now I think I'm going to watch the sunrise. 

I get ready for the day, and hop on my bike. I turn on the headlight, and start riding. With a blush, I think about the last time I rode my bike. Last night. Last night with Y/N. I remember her familiar scent, and the feeling of her arms around me. My God, this is getting out of hand.

I arrive at my tree and start climbing, and get to the top in no time. The sun is rising, setting off a brilliant combination of orange and pink. I lay down and watch the sun ascend into the sky. 

You know in the movies and books, when the girl kisses the guy on the cheek, and the guy just like, grins and stuff? Yeah. Well I'm here to tell you that's completely false. See, in the real world, they totally flip out. Even if the guy manages to play it off cool in real life, he's freaking out on the inside. Trust me, I speak from experience. 

I don't know, what did she mean by that? I was just minding my own business, kind of, and BAM. SHE KISSES ME ON THE CHEEK. And then just LEAVES. I'm sorry but WHAT THE HELL? I'm standing there, holding my cheek and gawking at the closed door in front of me. It's kind of a good thing she left right after that, because I would be totally tongue-tied. I most likely would've said something that demonstrated my intellect like "uhh...thank you."

I decide it's time I get something to eat. I take the 'zip line' down. I feel the air rushing in my face. I quickly descend down to the ground, and get back on my bike. I quickly ride home and watch TV  while I eat something. I wonder what I should do today. Swim? It's December. Roller skate? Skateboard? I'd kill myself trying. I take a walk around the house, groaning because I feel like it. (A/N: Does anyone else do that? Like, when you're home alone? Idk, carry on.)

When I get to the kitchen, I see a flyer for open skate at Hawkins Ice Skating. I radio the party. 

"Guys you wanna ice skate at three today?" I ask.

Dustin replies first. "Sure dude, I'll call Will. You get Lucas."

"Lucas, you in?" I ask.

"Yeah, you want me to call Y/N?"

My heartbeat increases slightly. Sure, I like her, but I don't know if I can talk to her without thinking of Friday night and blushing. Given I'm not the best at hiding my embarrassment, I don't really know if it's safe to talk to her. But even so, I figure it'll look weird if I say no.

"Yeah, tell her it's at 3:00. We'll meet at the rink then."

"Okay, got to go then."

"See you." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's 2:30. I figure it's time I should get going.