Chapter 21: More than a Crush?

Your POV

Your crush on Mike is getting out of control. Really, really, (really) out of control. Whenever he moves, you stare. You stare, and you stare, and you stare. You haven't been caught yet, thank God. You can't wipe the stupid grin off your face whenever he does literally anything.

You're afraid you going to accidentally spew out "OH MY GOD COULD YOU QUIT BEING SO CUTE I FUCKING LOVE YOU, WHY IS THE EARTH A HORRID PLACE?" Or something along those lines. Feelings are annoying.

But you have decided on one thing. Crushes are temporary. Just don't tell anyone, and it'll die out. Then you can just go back to being friends. Done and done. So your game plan is simple.

"Y/N, are you up?" Your Mom yells to you the next day.

"No." you tell her. Too early for this shit.

"Okay, well you're going to be late." she tells you.

"Ugh, the hoes and the fuckboys will be just dandy without me for a day, honestly. I just want to fucking sleep." You mumble sleepily, forcing yourself to get up. You're awfully grumpy in the mornings.

You lug yourself into the shower and quickly wash your hair. After you wash your face, arms, and legs, you step onto the bathroom mat and wrap a towel around yourself.

Yawning, you head back to your room and wrap your towel around your hair. Once you've pulled on some shorts, (it's almost June) you pick out a light blue top and pull your now almost dry hair up into a messy bun.

Groaning, you force yourself into the kitchen to have some breakfast. Your mom has prepared a delicious serving of banana pancakes (A/N: I'M HUNGRY) that you immediately dig into.

You almost fall asleep as you finish your third pancake. You're jolted awake as you get a glimpse of the clock on the wall.

"Oh fuck, I have to go it's almost seven." you say without thinking, getting up from the table.

"Language!" your dad scolds, even though that's hardly the worst he's heard from your mouth. Thanks, Dustin.

"Sorry Dad, sorry Mom, see you." you mumble.

Your bike is where you left it the day before.

The boys come by in perfect time, when you're just settled onto your bike. Mike is laughing at something Dustin said, and when you catch sight of his cute little smile, you're not exactly sure if you can trust your voice.

You wave with a smile to them, doing the same thing you did yesterday. You all ride tiredly back to school, like you hadn't had enough already. And off you go, to another wonderful school day.

After lunch, it's time for you and Mike to head to English. Once you grab your crap from your locker, you head up a flight of stairs to get to English class.

Mike clears his throat. "Uhm...Y/N?" he asks, very unsure.

Your already fast beating heart picks up its place as you hum in reply.

"You wanna meet at our tree after school?" He says, his voice shaking ever so slightly.

You grin ear to ear. "Sure."

You can't seem to focus during the rest of the day. Your English teacher called on you while you were looking out the window, and you answered the American Revolution, completely flustered. Mike was the only one who didn't laugh at you. He laughed at you after class.

Art consisted of an hour of wondering what could happen after school today. You daydream the whole class away, but the afternoon seems endless.

To say that you're nervous is a gross understatement. You twiddle your fingers on your bike handles, following Mike to the tree.

You don't say much, which you think he'll find weird, but you'd rather not talk at all than blurt out 'I love you'.

You race each other to the top of the tree, madly sprinting to the top, fearlessly. You won't admit it, but he beats you by a second.

"Eat it Y/L/N, I won." He brags as he sits down on the makeshift treehouse.

"Hell no, that was a tie, if even." you lie, more than nervously sitting down near him.

"Yeah right, you sore loser." He taunts.

You scoff to cover your anxious fiddling, kicking your legs back and forth.

"Any particular reason why you asked me here?" you ask, pulling at straws.

He pauses for a moment. "Nah...not really. We haven't done this in a while."

"Aww, you miss me Wheeler?" you try to pass yourself as unphased, trying to ignore the sinking feeling you just got. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. You really thought he'd say it? Get a grip.

"Y/N, are you okay?" Mike waves a hand in front of your face. "Are you conscious?"

You fake a yawn. "Yeah, yeah. I'm just tired."
That wasn't a whole lie...you were up until about 1:00am watching soap operas eating fried chicken. (A/N: M o o d)

You do your homework together up there, and when you get home, sun is nearly set.

Mike insisted on riding you home as per usual,("You could get kidnapped! I mean...I don't need that on my conscience.") and it was a peaceful short ride home. You roll your bike to your garage and cram it inside, and Mike, having set his bike down near your front yard, follows you to your door.

"Bye Mike, see you tomorrow." You tell him. You know what? Fuck it. You mess with my brain, I'll mess with yours, you lovable dork.
You kiss him on the cheek without giving yourself a chance to chicken out. Then, without another word, you disappear behind your door.

Quickly you scramble up to your room and peer out of your window. He's still standing there, cheeks red, and mouth slightly open. Just like last time. Oh yeah, you saw it. But you didn't say anything.

Feeling a little wild, you open your window.

"You gonna stand there forever, Mike?" you tease.

He grins up at you and takes off.