Chapter 25: Where is she?

Mike's POV

I frown as I pace the cement near the pool. Where's Y/N? Is she okay?

After waiting about forty-five minutes, I pick up my supercomm.

"Y/N, are you okay? Come in. Over." I say.

No one responds.

"Y/N?" I ask again, confused.

I decide I should probably stop by her house to make sure she's okay. I feel like I'm worrying too much, but I shake it off. I just want to make sure.

I grab my bike from the rack out front and go on my way. I know the way easily, so I get there in minutes. My bike lay forgotten on the front yard as I go up to knock.

No one answers. I bang desperately. Did I do something wrong? Where is she?

As I make my way back to my bike, I notice a piece of metal on the floor. I recognize it immediately having seen it so many times. It's Y/N's bike chain. She must have been having problems with it again.

I shrug and get back on my bike and start riding home until I realize there's a trail of little pieces of silver metal. I follow it, aligning my front bike wheel with the metal pieces.

The metal leads me to an abandoned street that I think is around Will's house. Furrowing my eyebrows, I pick up the pace. I pass a huge building with signs that say 'No trespassing' and things like that. I think Y/N is in trouble, she'd never be here on purpose. Maybe she was chased. My heart beat increases as I stand up on my bike.

I see something that makes my heart crawl into my throat and throw my bike aside and start sprinting, praying my eyes are playing tricks on me.

They aren't. I stop running and bend down to see Y/N's bike, her backpack beside it. I'm getting more and more anxious by the second.
God, Y/N, what happened to you?

I resume running, deciding that I'll get my stuff later. I have to find her. Sprinting down the old road, I call out to her.

"Y/N?" I ask. I'm greeted by absolutely nothing. Raising my voice, I try again.

"Y/N?" I ask, giving into my fear.

"Y/N! Where are you?" I yell into the woods. Tears beginning to form, I scream myself hoarse. My voice is almost useless.

"Y/N! Please!" I croak out with the last of my voice.

I wipe the tears away from my face, walking back to our stuff with my cheeks tear-stained.
Sniffling, I shoulder both of the backpacks. I remember the last time I carried both of our backpacks. I was carrying her.

Will I ever see her again? No. No no no don't think like that. She's fine. It's okay. You'll see her soon. You will. You will.

I reassure myself and ride both bikes at the same time. I head to Y/N's house and put her bike and backpack in their places. I notice the driveway now has a car in it.

I knock on the front door, making sure I don't look like I just had some sort of a breakdown.

Mrs. Y/L/N answers this time.

"Oh hello, Mike. Can I do something for you?" She asks.

"Um...hi Mrs. Y/L/N. Is Y/N by any chance home?" I ask hopefully.

"No, wasn't she supposed to go to the pool with you guys?" She asks, confused.

"Yes, actually. But the thing is, she never came. I was wondering if you knew where she was." I say sadly.

"I would think you out of all people would have the best idea. You have no clue where she is?" Mrs. Y/L/N questions.

"Oh...um, actually-"

"You know maybe you should come inside." She says.

"Oh...okay." I say.

She sits you down on the couch and asks if you want anything to drink.

"So where's my daughter?" She asks. Her mom has the same fiery expression as her when she talks.

"Well, I- we were waiting by the pool for her, but she never came. I radioed her but she didn't pick up.

"So then I came here but no one was home." I explain.

"Yes, that's when I went grocery shopping." She tells me. I nod.

"But I noticed a trail of metal shards outside your house. I recognized it as her bike chain, because she always complained about it.

I followed it to this weird old road. I-I found her bike and her backpack on the ground. I called for her, but she wasn't there. I don't know where she is." I finish shakily.

Her mom was getting more and more scared by the minute. I could see it on her face.

"Okay, thank you Michael. I'll call the police. You'd better get home now, I'm sure your mom is worried. And do me a favor, please be careful." She tells me.

I get up off the couch and head toward the front door.

"Thank you Mrs. Y/L/N. I'm sure she's just exploring or-or something like that." I say opening the door.

Mrs. Y/L/N smiles at me despite her growing worry."Bye Michael."

I nod at her and leave on my bike.

God, Y/N, where the hell are you?

When I get home, my mom is waiting at the door with questions.

"Honey, where have you been?" She asks immediately.

"Looking for Y/N." I say sadly.

"What do you mean? Is she okay?"

"Well, she was supposed to meet me- us by the pool but..." I explain the same thing I did to Y/N's mom.

"Well I'd better tell her mom, I'm sure she's worried sick." My mom says.

"She knows. I went to her house to see if she was there but she wasn't. I told Mrs. Y/L/N everything."

"Well okay then...how're you holding up sweetie?" She asks me, rubbing my shoulder.

"I'm okay I guess." I say.

"Are you sure?" She says concerned.

I nod. After she tells me everything will be okay I head to my room.

I close the door, lock it, and lean against it. I take a shaky breath. I grab my supercomm from my backpack.

"Guys come in. Important. Over." I say.

"What's the deal-i-o?" Dustin replies.

"What's up?" Lucas asks.

"Did you get your foot stuck under your bed again?" Will says. I sigh.

"No- just come over like right now. Over."

"Uh..okay. What's wrong?" Dustin asks.

"I'll tell you when you come over. Hurry." I say.

"Okay." Will says.

"You got it."

"See you soon."