Chapter 33: Project MKUltra

"Ugh, this is impossible! We're never going to find which chemical it was just from those pictures! There's thousands in here!" Lucas says, angrily flipping through Toxic Chemicals Found in North America.

"We have to. Keep looking." Will says, flipping through his own book. Lucas only groans in protest. Dustin is still looking for a book, and Will and I are looking through the same book together. (A/N: BYLERRRR)

After about twenty minutes, Lucas speaks up.

"Hey, shouldn't Dustin be back by now?"

"Come to think of it...yeah. I'll look for him." I say as I get up.

"Okay." Lucas says, returning his focus to the book in front of him.

It doesn't take me that long to find him. He's in one of the first aisles I checked. His face is hidden next to a machine that has all of the newspapers stored on it.

"Man, what's taking you so long?" I ask.

He bangs his head on the top of the machine in fright.

"Oh, sorry. Are you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah." He nods.

"Seriously, why aren't you looking for a book?" I ask him.

"Well, I was looking for a book. But then I realized, well, it'd take forever. There're millions of chemicals found in Indiana alone, and narrowing it down to our small town of Hawkins would take ages." He explains.

"Okay, but why are you reading newspapers?" I reply.

"I wanted to look up anything on Hawkins Lab. It was a shot in the dark, but it looks like I found something! Look in."

Curious, I peer through the eye-opening in he machine and read the article, dated March 6, 1973

Hawkins National Lab is rumored to have taken part of Project MKUltra—a series of tests and experiments that supposedly develop mind-controlling weapons in people. Although this is to contribute to our defense in the Cold War, it is very dangerous for those involved.

 Although this is to contribute to our defense in the Cold War, it is very dangerous for those involved

A photograph of Dr. Martin Brenner (right) and his subjects.

Some drugs involved are illegal, while we have no proof that Hawkins Lab is using them. The drug mainly involved in Project MKUltra ,and if Hawkins Lab is using anything, is-

"Guys! What the hell are you doing? We're supposed to be looking for the chemicals!" Lucas interrupts my reading, Will at his heels.

"Dustin, tell them what's happening." I say exasperated as I frantically continue.

LSD.

I take my eyes out from the machine. LSD? I knew that it it's like a hallucination drug. I wasn't sure it was legal in America though.

"You guys, read this." I say, pointing to the machine.

"Mike, w-"

"Please just read it Lucas." I say, pretty shaken up. Do I really have LSD in me?

Once Lucas reads the article, Will does.

"What did that have to do with anything?" Will asks.

"Well, what if some of the chemicals in the MKUltra project leaked out near the lab, and Mike was exposed! Then we'd know more about his astral projection!" Dustin explains.

I was too freaked out to tell Dustin I probably don't have astral projection.

"Okay...so now what?" Lucas asks.

"Do we read about LSD?" I ask.

"'Hey, do you have anything on LSD? I'm interested!' Yeah, that'll work." Dustin says.

"Well what else can we do?" Will says.

"But I don't want to ask the librarian for books on LSD!" Dustin shout whispers.

My heart skips a beat as I suddenly remember something.

"Well suck it up because I told my mom I'm just picking up my school work. She'll suspect me if I stay for like five more minutes."

For now I search on my own, trying to find books on LSD without the librarian.

I madly plow through the medical and drug section and come out with one book.

LSD and it's Effects on the Human Body

Just in case Dustin's on to something, I check out the other copy of Superpowers of Our World.

The librarian briefly pauses when she sees I'm checking out a book on LSD, but doesn't say anything.

I mutter a quick and awkward thank you as I thank the party for its help, dash out the door and start on my way home with some serious research to do.