Chapter 37: Bring Us Back

"It's gotta be here somewhere!" I say in panic, still clinging to Y/N's hand. "It's gotta be!"

Y/N yanks my hand lightly. "Mike, calm down. I-...I think I'm just stuck here." I can tell she's fighting back tears.

"No. No way. You're not staying here." I say.

"The gate isn't here. I'm stuck, Mike." She says, allowing a single tear to drop from her eye.

I know she's probably right, but I just can't face it. I can't.

I wipe it from her cheek with my free hand.

"I'm getting you out of here, gate or no gate." I tell her, determination coursing through my veins.

"Mike, no. It's impossible to get out of here without the gate." She says sadly.

"No it isn't." I say.

"What?"

"I do it, don't I?"

"Well, you're not stuck!" She says.

"I don't care!" I take her other hand in mine.

"Oka-" I start.

Roar!

"Oh shit. It's coming." She whispers. She tries to let go of my hand, but I hold on.

"What the hell are you doing? We have to run, now!" She yells.

"No! Just trust me!" I plead.

"Whatever you're doing, do it quick." She says, staring in the direction the sound came from.

"Okay. Now I need you to focus!" I yell over the thumping and crunching of the monster.

She nods, full of fear.

"Close your eyes and think of here! Think of this place, but not in the Upside Down! Think of Dustin, Lucas, and Will waiting for us. Picture yourself there!" I yell as the monster emerges from the woods about 35 feet from us.

"Mike, lo-" she starts to yell.

"Ignore it! Do what I say! Trust me!" I scream.

We both close our eyes as we try leaving the astral plane. The monster is sprinting toward us.

"I can't!" She yells.

"Then hold on!"

The monster is charging at us.

25ft.

20ft.

15ft.

10ft.

Bring us back.

We wake up side by side.

"Did you do it?" She asks, her voice raspy as she clumsily gets to her feet.

"I think so, but where's the par-"

"Y/N, YOU'RE ALIVE!" Dustin tackles her in a bear hug, followed by Lucas and Will.

"What happened?" Lucas asks.

"I don't know. We tried looking for the gate, but we couldn't find it." I explain.

"So how'd you get back?" Will asks.

"We both used our powers at the same time." I half-lie, squeezing Y/N's hand behind our backs.

"Cool. But uh, I think we should get Y/N to a hospital." Dustin says.

He's right. She doesn't look too good.

"Wha- no I don't-" she mumbles before passing out.

Lucas carries my bike out of the woods while I hold Y/N. We sprint until we get to the road. Quickly I prop her up on my bike and begin to pedal furiously to her house. It's close and her mom will drive her to the hospital.

I pound on the door, holding Y/N bridal style.

Mrs. Y/L/N gasps as she swings open the door.

"She needs to get to the hospital!" I say. She only nods and gets in the car with her husband. Y/N is in the back, laying on the seats horizontally. There's no room for us, so we follow them on our bikes.

The hospital is a good deal away and by the time we arrive, we're panting and sweating. That doesn't stop us from rushing inside after Y/N and her family.

I go up to the front desk. "We're here for Y/N Y/L/N."

"Have a seat in the waiting room behind you dear." Exactly what I didn't want to hear.

Nevertheless, the party and I take a with nothing to do but wait.