Chapter 39: A Starry Night

You squint curiously at Mike's head in front of you. He seems tense. Did something bad happen? No, no...he's been in a generally good mood the whole day. Then why is he so nervous?

You've never seen this part of Hawkins before although you've been here for almost a year. Something's not right here.

"Hey, Mike." You say, speeding up to be side by side with him. "Stop for a second."

"Hm?"

"Something's wrong. You're acting weird. What's up?"

"Oh, um..." Then he sighs. "Do...do you want to go on a date with me, Y/N?"

You definitely didn't hear that right. You're breathless.

"Wh-What?" You say, trying to breathe.

His cheeks set on fire. "Oh, well that's okay I'm really so-"

"No no no, what did you say?"  You say, a little louder than intended.

The expression on his face is almost begging me to stop humiliating him.

"I asked if you wanted to go on a date." He blurts out awkwardly.

"Really?" You ask. He only stares at the ground.

"Like...a date date?" You ask, not sure if you should get your hopes up.

He raises his gaze to your eyes and nods.

Your heart flutters. "Then yes, of course!"

His eyes widen. "Are- are you sure?"

"Yeah!" You say excitedly.

"Really? Oh okay, then follow me!" He says, not believing his own luck.

A couple of minutes later you arrive. It's just some trees leading into another forest.

"Where are we?" You ask.

"Follow me." He says. You shrug and let him lead you through the woods.

Not long after he leads you to an open field.

"Woah, cool. How come there aren't any trees here?" You ask curiously.

"I dunno. It's great for absolutely anything though." He says, laying down on the grass.

You join him and watch the clouds together.

"That one looks like a-"

"Yes, yes I saw it too no need to say it though!" He cuts you off. You laugh darkly.

"You're messed up, Y/N." He laughs.

"Thanks."

You both look up at the clouds and use your imaginations to amuse each other.

"Hey look it's Troy!" He says, pointing a deranged gremlin-like figure.

"Oh my God." You laugh.