Chapter 28: A clue?

Mike's POV

I sigh in despair. I haven't had any luck trying to find Y/N, and I have to go back to school tomorrow. As a last effort of the night, I take out my supercomm and turn to the channel Y/N and I reserved for us. I take a deep breath.

"Y/N, it's- it's Mike. Please tell me if you're okay. Did you run away because of me? What did I do Y/N?" I ask no one. "I...I shouldn't have kissed you. I'm sorry. Please come back, Y/N, we're worried sick."

I wait for a response. No one answers. I push the antenna down and shove it into my backpack for tomorrow. I chide myself for being so stupid and sulk as I drift asleep.

"Wheeler?" The voice of Mr. Clarke is what sucks me back into class.

"Uh, yes?" I ask. Crap.

"I believe I asked you a question. Do you know the answer?"

Shit shit shit...what were we learning about again? Atoms!

"...protons?" I say.

"No, I'm afraid that's not correct. Miss Lupeno?" He says.

"Animals with backbones." Tina Lupeno answers.

"Correct. I suggest you pay more attention next time. Protons were in the last chapter." He reprimands me. Ugh, shoot.

I can't help the red that appears on my face. I need to stay focused. Then I can look for Y/N.

The end of the day seems like an eon away. When the long awaited bell rings, I jump up from art class and speed-walk out the door.

Once I get to my locker, I grab my supercomm.

"Guys, can't ride with you today. Busy." I say, not waiting for a response. I cram the books I need into my backpack along with my supercomm. Then I do my best not to sprint out of the school. I grab my bike from the rack and start pedaling wildly. As I tear my gaze from the party's bikes, I feel a little bit guilty. I know I shouldn't abandon them and they want to look for her too, but I can't wait much longer.

I speed to Y/N's house and bang on the door. Mrs. Y/L/N answers.

"Hi Mrs. Y/L/N. Sorry to bother you, but do you have an idea where Y/N might've gone? What did the police say?"

"Oh sweetie, the police have been helpful. They told me not to go looking for her because I need to be home when she gets back. I think it's really annoying actually. I'm going to keep looking for her until I find her.

On the other hand, don't set out looking for her, Michael. I don't want anything to happen to you."

I nod. "Okay. Thanks Mrs. Y/L/N. I gotta go." I say, knowing I'm about to completely disregard what she just told me. (A/N: #rebel)

I speed off to where I usually look for her, but I know it isn't working. I should have found her by now. She isn't here. I stop, wondering where she could've gone. I walk aimlessly to the old gate, wondering. As I gaze at the rusty, brown, metal door, I squint at a wrapper stuck near the top of the fence.

I curiously climb up to it and bring it down quickly. It's a fabric piece. I shrug. But then my heart pangs with a mixture of excitement and horror.

It's Y/N's favorite T-shirt. The white corner must have ripped off. I can see the bottom of the 'B' for the Beatles. And there's a tint of red from when Dustin rubbed chip powder on her! (A/N: I know that was random af but I needed him to recognize it soo) My heart rate increases.