Chapter 27: Life in the Upside Down

Your POV

It's been two days. Two days in this place. You're driving yourself insane. It's like you're there, but you're not. You see everything as it should be, except there's a dark tint to everything and you're freezing to death.

You're laying down in a field, (Well, as close to a field you can get wherever you are.) when you hear it. The sound which means, hide!

"Shit, already?" You mumble frantically to yourself as you jump up from the grass. It's coming again, but it shouldn't be back for hours. You had it down to a science. It leaves for about five hours to do God knows what and then it comes back. You're not exactly sure what it does when it comes back (or what it is to be quite honest), but you're too afraid to look. This is too early to be back. Something's not right. You aren't ready yet.

You run frantically through the field. You slowly begin to realize your surroundings. This is the field where Mike's tree is. Well, it kind of is. Maybe you could find it.

You hear the roar you've been hearing for too long getting louder and louder. A feeling of distress overcomes you as you sprint through the field. You're about to give up on running when you see it. Finally, the tree comes into view. It's branches are blacker and it looks more old than welcoming. It doesn't provide the feeling of comfort like as it usually does.

But it's your only hope of getting the hell away from it. (A/N: pEnnYwiSe?!?1!) You sprint toward the more than unwelcoming tree and climb up it as fast as you can. Another nauseating roar follows. You soar madly up the tree, the air dark all around you.

As you fly up the tree, you hear the roar again. You're about to cry. You've never been so scared in your life. You do your best to ignore your whole body shaking and hurry up the tree. Everything is fine (well, as fine as it gets where you are) until you slip on a branch. You fall about six inches  and hit your stomach on a branch.

You groan in pain, but you know you have to keep going. It knocked the wind out of you. It's coming. Tears at the brim of your eyes, you do the best you can to get up and keep moving. You continue up the tree, quieting your groans of pain. ROAR!

When you get to the top of the tree, you jump on to what used to be a place of comfort for you. Fearing the beast is still near, you do your best to keep your labored breathing quiet. After what seems like forever, the frightening noises and crunching of leaves hinders and you exhale. You can't keep living like this.

ROAR!

You yelp in fear. Oh no.

ROAR!

It knows where you are. It's coming. You're shaking so badly you can hardly move. A warm tear rolls down your face as your chin uncontrollably trembles. They only thing you can do now is stay quiet. You hear the horrible steps it's taking. When you're sure it's retreating, you peer down at the opening where it was. It's then when you get your first real look at it.

It's body. It's gruesome, disgusting body. It's veiny and dark. It's a 7 foot man...with no face. Instead of facial features it had flower petal like  flaps. It scared the shit out of you. All you could do was stare, wide-eyed and afraid.

When you finally got the courage to move, you sat up against the tree. Your stomach growled with hunger. You strained to remember how long a human could go without eating. Was it a week? No no...3 weeks. Or, was it a month? Who knows how long I'll be here.

It was then when your fear turned to determination. I'm getting out of this hell hole, one way or another. There's got to be a way out. There needs to be.