Chapter 29: A Dream

I stare up at the piece of fabric, my only hint at getting Y/N back. I have no clue what to do. I'm completely lost. There's no possible way I'll ever see her again. It's over. I begin to cry. My eyes drift over a Hazard: Toxic Chemicals Nearby sign. I don't think much of it at the time.

Warm tears slowly roll down my face as I quickly lose hope. I kick the gate in frustration. Then, I get a pain in my forehead. Like someone's just kicked me in between them eyes. I feel as if my head is splitting open and I fall to the ground. I gasp for breath on my hands and knees. After about thirty seconds, it stops. I sit on the ground and recover. Whatever the hell that was, thank God it's over.

I shrug it off. Next I sit in a nearby tree and mourn, chucking rocks at the horrid gate as the sun lowers in the west of the sky. After staring out at the sun for a bit, I jump down from the tree and get back xon my bike, tears still wet on my face. It's no use looking for her anymore. She's gone.

The wind cools my face as I ride along the sidewalk to my house. I drop my bike off and sulk as soon as I get home. There are no tears left in me. I stare up at my ceiling when I remember all the good times Y/N and I had.

The window in my room, where we watched the storm together.

"Woah, this is awesome," she'd said.

"I wonder how long it'll last." I replied.

I walk out of my room into the kitchen, empty of people. Where she helped me cook the party's dinners when we all had that mega sleepover.

"Yes chef." she'd mocked as she saluted me as a joke.

"OH, QUIT CRYING AND GET IT YOURSELF!" She'd yelled at Dustin when he complained about the food wait.

I need to get out of this house. I can't be here right now. I rush out the door and onto my bike. A couple of blocks away is where I remember Y/N punching Troy in the stomach when he'd tried to talk to her. I remember the sound of her laugh as we mocked Troy after he'd waddled away.

I can't stop remembering her. I increase my speed as if I can run away from all of the memories. I can't.

The streets of Hawkins are heart-wrenching reminders of all of Y/N's and my good times together. I pass the park bench where she'd fixed me up after we fell on my bike. The woods that lead to the lake she showed me on Christmas. The movie theater where we saw The Temple of Doom and the ice skating rink we'd laughed at Lucas android Dustin falling hopelessly at together.

This wasn't a good idea. I thought that this would take my mind off things, but boy, was I wrong. I head home. Sleep seems like the only way to relax. I slam my bike down for the second time of the day and slowly walk to my room.

As I pass the door to my basement, I remember when she'd hugged me on Christmas Eve after I gave her her supercomm. A single tear rolls down my cheek as I continue down the hall into my room. I'm reminded of all the times we'd rode on my bike together and the times she'd kissed me on the cheek. And finally, I remember last weekend when I'd finally kissed her. My chest pangs with sadness and longing.

I close my door and fall into bed. It takes awhile to finally stop my train of thought and close my eyes.

"MIKE GET UP!" A suspiciously familiar voice yells at me. I can't place my finger on who's screamingat me.

Curiously, I jump out of bed and peek out my bedroom door. There's no one there. I shrug and get dressed for school. I slowly make my way into the kitchen for breakfast. After I rub my eyes, my breath hitches in my throat.

"Y-Y/N?" I gasp. She's sitting at my kitchen table, but, it's not really her. She seems...out of it. There are huge dark bags under her eyes and the color is gone from her face. Her lips are darker, and her pupils are black. She stares at me.

"Wh-what are you doing here? Are you okay?" I ask, my voice hoarse.

"Mike," she whispers, her eyes fearful. "Help me."

"Help you? With what? Where'd you go?" I ask frantically.

"Mike. It's coming." She says to me. She coughs. Her voice sounds like she's sick.

"What? Y/N what's coming?" I say.

"It's cold. It's...it's like Hawkins. But it's black and and and it's scary and please I can't stay here much longer." She starts to cry.

I reach for her. "Y/N you're not going anywhere. I'll ge-" I go to grab her hand. Before our hands meet, her skin begins to dissolve like wind. I desperately grope for her other arm, but soon she's almost gone.

"Hawkins Lab!" I can hear her yell out. Her frightened eyes disappear and she's gone. Again.

I sit up in a cold sweat with a scream. My breathing is uneven and my heart is beating quickly. I steady my heart rate and breathing.
It was just a dream. (A/N: p r a n k e d)

I swallow deeply and lean against the backboard of my bed. Just a dream. My breathing slowly steadies. I wipe the the tears off my face. There's no way I can go back to sleep now. My watch sitting on my bedside table reads 4:56am. I sigh shakily and take a deep breath.

I wander out into the living room and sit down on the couch. Just a dream. I grab the remote and look for something to watch to calm my nerves. There's only nature documentaries and sit coms I'm not allowed to watch. I groan inwardly and grab a glass of water. Just a dream.

After awhile I get my supercomm and call the party.

"Guys, come in." I say.

It takes a minute for Dustin to reply.
"What? It's like...3 am." He complains.

"6:18 actually. Everyone on?" I ask.

"Yeah." Lucas says tiredly. "What's so important this early in the morning?"

"Hold on, Will?" I ask.

"Here. What's up?" He responds.

I take a deep breath. "I had a dream about Y/N."

Dustin and Lucas chuckle into their radios, and I can practically see Will smiling.

"Not that type of dream you weirdos." I roll my eyes. Despite the situation, I smile. It feels good.

"I mean, I had a dream she was back. I know it was just a dream...but I don't know. It seemed so real. She told me she needed help. I need to do something. I don't think I'm going to school today."

"Are you looking for her?" Will asks.

(A/N: I THINK I CAN SAY THAT IN SPANISH READY: '"¿Vas a mirar para ella?" Will pregunta' OKAY READ ON I'M SORRY DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THAT'S RIGHT?)

"Yeah...I think so." I reply.

"Can I help?" He asks.

"If you're up to it, why not? Thanks Will." I say.

"I want to help too." Lucas tells us.

"Count me in." Dustin adds.

"Really? Awesome." I say. "Meet me at the park. I don't want our parents to find out we're skipping."

"Rodger that. See you in 10."

(A/N: I'm sorry these are coming out so slow oof my children. ALSO THANK YOU FOR ALL OF THE SUPPORT YOU GUYS ARE THE ACTUAL BEST!! Comment if you're pumped for the next chapter!!!)