Chapter Five

I've been lying on the bed trying to get some rest but my mind is so busy that sleep won't come.

We have arrived at the imperial capital hours ago. My father, along with his subordinates, met us at the city gates.

He was so happy to see me that when we arrived at the Bai Manor, my father's inherited household in the imperial capital, a small party was held.

I had to greet new faces and make small conversations with all the ladies that gathered. After eating my fill, I excused myself with the reason that I was tired from our travel. Its not that I was lying though. I was truly exhausted after sitting inside the carriage for a whole day.

Xiao Yu and Ming Shu also retired to their assigned room which is next to mine so that in case I need anything, they can easily attend to me.

Speaking of Ming Shu, I know I would eventually meet the female lead but not this fast and most certainly, not in this way.

Imagine the female lead serving the villainess?

Ha ha! Am I courting death?

If Chen Heng Li stayed longer in the Western Border, he'd surely be the one to save the female lead on his way back to the imperial capital. But since everything is messed up, I was the one who saved her instead.

Did I do the right thing?

I don't know.

What do I do now?

I don't know either.

I don't regret saving Ming Shu but there's this fear inside of me that won't go away. What if the plot picks up and I still get my tragic ending?

I shook my head and breathed deeply. I shouldn't be too worried, especially now that Ming Shu sees me as her savior. I saved her once, will she save me too when the time comes?

Still not able to sleep, I stood up and pulled my blanket along with me. I slowly opened the door and peeked outside. When I saw no one, I quietly made my way to the manmade pond in my courtyard and sat on a tree stump.

The full moon hang on the night skies illuminating the darkness. The stars were few but they twinkled brightly. The cool wind made me shiver so I pulled my blanket tighter.

My eyes then drifted to the still pond with white lotuses floating atop. I picked up a few small stones and tried stone skipping.

Suddenly, I saw something move out of the corner of my eye. I turned around but see no one.

What was it? Was it just my imagination? I'm sure I saw something move though.

Chill crept up my skin thinking that it was a ghost. I actually don't believe in ghosts just like how I didn't believe in transmigrations but that had proven me wrong so I swiftly stood up and ran back to my room.

•••

"Miss, wake up. The General wants to eat lunch with you." Xiao Yu softly prodded me as I replied with a groan.

I didn't have enough sleep as I was only able to close my eyes in the morning.

"Also, the third prince is here."

My eyes shot open hearing her words.

"Who did you say is here?"

"Miss, the Third Prince arrived early. Since you aren't awake, he spent the entire morning playing go with the General." Xiao Yu chuckled seeing me flustered.

What is the male lead doing here? Did he know the female lead is here so he showed up? Is the invisible bond between the two protagonists that strong?

"Where is Ming Shu?" I was panicking deep inside but I kept a calm face.

What if Ming Shu met Chen Heng Li while I was asleep and they're now planning my funeral?

Am I being paranoid?

I know I said that I'm just going to live my life opposed to that of the novel's Bai Fan but fate keeps entangling me with both the leads.

"Miss, your servant is here." A voice was heard outside the door.

"Quickly, come in!" Xiao Yu called to her.

Ming Shu came in carrying a bowl of water. She was wearing the same clothes as Xiao Yu. Her messy hair was combed, her pale face had a slight tint, and she looked better now compared to yesterday. Though she's very thin and the bruises are still visible, she doesn't seem scared and exhausted anymore.

Xiao Yu took the bowl from her and helped me wash up. Ming Shu quietly stood beside Xiao Yu.

"Miss should look extra pretty today since the third prince is here!" Xiao Yu exclaimed, clapping her hands.

Ignoring Xiao Yu, I glanced at Ming Shu's reaction but she remained passive. She is more interested in watching Xiao Yu assist me, probably trying to learn from her.

I sighed in relief seeing that there's nothing amiss nor was she acting weird.

Xiao Yu dressed me in a purple garb with a white lining. She dabbed a thin layer of make-up on my face and fixed my hair adding an orchid hairpin.

I stood and faced Ming Shu. She gave out a loud gasp and when she realized what she did, she quickly apologized and covered her mouth.

"Is there something wrong?" I asked as I touched my face.

Did Xiao Yu apply too much make-up that I look frightening?

"Miss, there is nothing wrong. This servant is just surprised seeing a goddess in flesh." Ming Shu replied admiringly.

Ahh, even the female lead is taken by my beauty.

"Ming Shu, our Miss is the most beautiful in the entire empire! Even the young misses who grew up in the imperial capital can't compare with our Miss!" Xiao Yu added proudly and Ming Shu smiled in agreement.

Ahh, my head is getting bigger.

"Enough, you two. Someone might hear you." I warned them though I actually felt good hearing their praises. What can I say? I'm a bit of a narcissist.

"Miss Bai, the meal is ready. The General requests your presence in the dining hall." A maid of the Bai Manor announced. Xiao Yu told her that we will follow so she went ahead.

Before we left, I turned to Ming Shu who is still standing on her spot with her hands clasped together appearing like an obedient child.

"Stay here and copy the first ten pages of The Analects by Confucius. If you're done and I haven't returned yet, read the other books. Just don't go out." I instructed her, pointing at the stack of book on top of the side table.

Ming Shu looked puzzled but she nodded in understanding. Even Xiao Yu was confused with what I ordered Ming Shu to do.

When we were out of the courtyard, Xiao Yu asked as to why I left Ming Shu in my room.

"She needs to practice her writing skills." I simply lied. Xiao Yu didn't appear to completely believe me but she didn't question me further.

Truth is, I am just being cautious. I mean, the possibility of the male and female lead causing my demise is still there. Not until I find a way to diminish that possibility, then I can just delay their meeting for now.