Chapter Forty 1/2

As my consciousness returned, so did the throbbing pain in my skull. There was a loud pounding sound resonating inside my head and my body felt heavy.

What happened?

I remembered seeing Ming Shu and following her inside the alley. Then someone covered my nose with a drugged handkerchief but I didn't faint immediately so someone took the liberty to hit my head instead.

Is this Ming Shu's doing?

But why?

I wanted to open my eyes but it was covered by a cloth. I tried to shuffle in a more comfortable position but my movement was restricted. My hands l were bounded behind my back and so were my feet. Even my cries for help was muted by the gag they inserted inside my mouth. Only smothered groans can be heard.

This is just great!

Good job for getting yourself in trouble, Bai Fan. Good job!

I would have patted my own shoulder if not for my tied hands.

I may have looked calm in this situation but honestly, I was scared. If I start panicking, my already bad situation can possibly worsen.

I focused on my hearing, the only thing I could do for now. I'm somehow grateful that they didn't muffle my ears either. But the place was eerily silent until I heard footsteps approaching. I ceased my movements and pretended to be dead to the world.

"Master, she's still sleeping." A man spoke.

"She's been asleep for two days, just how strong was the drug you used?" Another man asked, I'm guessing is the master, in an irritated tone, "What's the news in the Imperial Capital?"

"Master," the subordinate paused for a second, "no one was looking for her."

"Didn't you tell me this woman is the First Princess? How can no one be looking for her?" Confusion can be heard from the master's voice.

Even I was surprised.

No one is looking for me?

A weird uncomfortable feeling started to rise from the pit of my stomach.

What about my father? He should still be in the Imperial Capital.

Chen Mu too, what about my husband?

"Go grab some water, that will surely wake her up." The master barked to his subordinate.

Oh no, you wouldn't.

I groaned, kicked and flipped wanting to get both men's attention.

I'm awake!

No need to pour water on me!

One of the men neared me and removed my blindfold. He also took off my gag and I took in a deep breath.

"Oh, so you were awake all this time." The master snickered finding my situation funny.

I blinked my eyes as my blurry vision started to clear. It was already night time and the only light present was from the moon and several torches stuck on the ground.

Two men were standing right in front of me. Both were wearing an all black outfit but the taller man was wearing a black mask which reminded me of the Dark Shadow.

"Where am I?" I asked.

"Trees, trees and more trees. Guess where we are?" The man pointed at the greens surrounding us and laughed, "In the middle of the forest!"