Chapter Fourteen

The real reason why father stayed at the imperial capital was to help Chen Heng Li face his older brothers who were also vying for the coveted crown prince status. After a series of fortunate events which my father didn't bother to elaborate, Chen Heng Li was chosen as the throne's successor.

After making sure that everything was settled, that's when father decided to come home. Who would have known that the newly appointed crown prince would tag along and cause trouble for me?

For a crown prince, he has so much time to spare.

Despite my planning which turned out to be useless, I still can't believe it would turn out this way.

Ever since I arrived in this world, I've been avoiding all the possibilities of myself getting entangled with the story's protagonists. But for some unexplainable reason, Ming Shu ended up as one of my personal maids while Chen Heng Li offered me the title of a crown princess.

To be the crown princess or not, that is the question.

I think that the heavens have something against me.

Ahh, do villains only have a tragic ending? Can't we have our own happy ending?

Though Chen Heng Li doesn't appear to be a threat to my life right now, I couldn't help but feel cautious of his existence. Everytime I see him, a huge imaginary death skull appears on his forehead reminding me that he was the one who killed the novel's Bai Fan.

Even if the plot has now taken a complete turn, you can't really blame me for being a bit paranoid.

What should I do now?

If I ask my father, he will surely side with the crown prince and coax me to agree to the proposal.

I bet he helped the third prince to get the crown prince status with me in mind.

If I ask Xiao Yu, she would say exactly what my father would say.

She's been gushing over me and  the crown prince so obviously, she's team Chen Heng Li!

If I ask Ming Shu...

Ming Shu?

These past days, I've noticed how Ming Shu has been adapting well to her new life here at the Bai Household. She seems happy to be with us and I feel the same way. I feel comfortable with her around. Sometimes, I even forget that she's the female lead and a possible threat to me. But I still treat her like how I treat Xiao Yu, as a good sister.

Dear female lead, what should I do?

I asked father and the crown prince for some days to think things over. I'm glad that they agreed and though they don't constantly bother me about it, the pressure is still there.

To be honest, I don't want to accept Chen Heng Li's proposal. Though I felt comfortable being in his arms, I can tell that the plot has something to do with it. Just like what I have said before, the ultimate goal I have in this lifetime is to live a peaceful life. Everyone knows that the imperial harem won't give me that.

When he truly ascends to the throne, I will have to deal not only with his scheming concubines but also the tricks and plots of his courtmen. And if they succeeded, I'd probably spend the rest of my life in the cold palace or even worst, die in a dishonarable way.

Yes, I overthink sometimes. Okay, not only sometimes but I think I'll end up in a mental institution if this continues. I hope father won't disown me.

"Miss, the crown prince requests for your presence." Xiao Yu spoke with a knowing smile on her face.

What does he need me for?

I turned to look at Ming Shu who was busy wiping the window grail.

Hmm...

"Ming Shu, come with us." I told Ming Shu and she gave a nod as a response.

Let's see what happens.

Together with my personal maids, we went towards the Tang Courtyard where Chen Heng Li was staying. He's been staying here at the Bai Household for three days already and it seems like he doesn't have any plans of returning to the imperial capital any time soon.

I don't what the royal family does on a daily basis but I know for a fact that as a crown prince, he shouldn't be spending his time here. Instead, he should be back to palace and do his job as the heir to the throne. As to why the Emperor is letting him do as he pleases is beyond me.

"Your highness, Miss Bai is here." A eunuch announced upon seeing our arrival.

"Let her in."

When I entered the room, I noticed that Xiao Yu and Ming Shu weren't following me so I motioned for them to come with me. Though reluctant, they obeyed and entered the room as well.

"How can this humble subject help your highness?" I bowed towards the lowered curtains.

"Bai Fan, come forward."

I took a step without raising my head.

"Nearer."

Small step.

"More."

Another small step.

I heard Chen Heng Li shuffle, the curtains being drawn and his soft footsteps coming towards me.

"Didn't I say for you to come closer?" A slight humor can be heard from his voice.

Like I would dare.

"Your highness, how can this subject serve you?" I ignored his teasing and the sudden increase of my heartbeat rate.

His hand held my chin and cupped it upwards causing our eyes to meet, "Bai Fan, didn't we already agreed to call each other by name?"

"I wouldn't dare." I turned my face sidewards and gently pushed his hand away, not wanting to offend him.

Chen Heng Li looked hurt for a second but immediately covered it with a grin.

"I haven't seen you in a while. I just wanted to take a good look at you," the crown prince confessed, "you're still as beautiful as ever."

I almost snorted.

Ha! I know! But ahh, what are you doing? Don't you think you're going too fast?

And Chen Heng Li! I didn't write you as a shallow person! You don't judge people for their looks that's why you never fell for the novel's Bai Fan and chose Ming Shu!

Not knowing what else to say, I signalled for Ming Shu to come forward with the tea set she was holding.

I watched for Chen Heng Li's reaction but he didn't even threw Ming Shu a glance.

No reaction?

"Your highness, would you like to drink tea?" I offered.

"Mmm..." He escorted me to the table in the corner of the room and we sat on the cushioned chairs.

"Ming Shu," I made sure to put an emphasis to her name, "pour a cup for his highness."

Eh? Still no reaction?

When Ming Shu was about to place the tea on the table, the cup on her hand slipped and spilled over Chen Heng Li's clothes.

"Your higness! This servant didn't mean to! Ahhh!" Ming Shu panicked and started to wipe the crown prince's clothes with her own sleeves.

Chen Heng Li grabbed Ming Shu's hand to stop her from further spreading the stain. He looked at the servant and was stunned for a moment. Even Ming Shu stood stiff seeing the crown prince. Their eyes were locked together, no one willing to back down. Everything surrounding them seemed to disappear like a thin smoke, including me.

Ahh, I think I got my answer.