Chapter Thirty One

I'm tired.

Yesterday, I've been preparing for my journey to the Western Border today.

Though Chen Mu had already prepared the presents, I still had to check the item list and made Xiao Yu update the inventory.

I also had to entertain some noble guests who decided to give me a visit, hoping to build connection with me and curry favor my husband. Unfortunately for them, Chen Mu was not around and I have no interest in getting involved with their business.

Then there was also Ming Shu who kept bugging me to talk to the crown prince. Now, I regret agreeing to her pleas.

As to the reason why I chose to help her, maybe because I was feeling a bit guilty. I know that I have no control of what's happening but I keep thinking that because of my existence, she had to face ordeals. If it weren't for me, she would have been living her life according to the plot. There was also this feeling of attachment to her since she was the very first protagonist I have ever written. I just wanted for her to succeed and live a happy life.

I assured Ming Shu that once I get back from the Western Border, I will try to find ways to help her.

"Miss, the carriage is ready." Xiao Yu announced as she entered my room.

"Xiao Yu, have you seen my jade hairpin?" I frowned.

I've been looking for the jade hairpin which the Dark Shadow had given me but I couldn't find it. I remembered keeping it inside my jewelry box but when I opened it, it wasn't there.

"Miss, you mean your mother's heirloom?"

"No, the other one. Remember the hairpin I used when I entered the palace to receive the marriage edict?" I recounted.

Xiao Yu helped in looking for my missing jade hairpin. We searched every nook and cranny but to my disappointment, the jade hairpin was nowhere to be found.

"Let's go. We'll just find it when we get back." I sighed.

Xiao Yu and I made our way to the carriage and helped me settle inside.

"Where's Ming Shu?" I took a peek outside the tiny window of the carriage, "I thought she's coming with us?"

"Miss, she said she's not feeling well so she'll stay behind." Xiao Yu answered.

I nodded in understanding and ordered the servants to start with our travel.

After several hours of sitting, eating and napping, we finally arrived at the Western Border. Father was still in the military camp so only the Bai Household servants were able to meet us.

"Welcome back, Miss!" They shouted in unison. They were all happy to see their mistress back since she was gone for a long time. I greeted them back and asked how they've been doing.

"Miss, let's go to your courtyard so you can rest first before the General comes back." Xiao Yu said and I let her lead me to my chambers.

I plopped down on the bed and enjoyed the familiar comfort it offered. Xiao Yu left me to rest.

I was about to close my eyes when I heard the windows open with a creak and revealed a man all covered in black with a mask on.

Dark Shadow?

I quickly stood up and fixed my wrinkled dress, "what are you doing here?"

He leisurely walked his way towards my bed and sat on it.

"I came to see you." He answered nonchalantly.

I thought Chen Mu is going somewhere? What is he doing here in the Western Border?

"I-I..." I was so surprised by his sudden appearance that it left me speechless.

"Come, get some rest. I know you're tired from your journey." The Dark Shadow patted the space on the bed and motioned for me to lay down.

I rolled my eyes.

How can I sleep with him around?

I took a step back but before I could put more distance between us, he took my hand and pulled me to the bed.

"Don't be shy," he muttered and rested my head on his lap, "there, close your eyes and sleep."

I closed my eyes tightly as blood rushed up to my head and my cheeks started to redden. I felt so embarrassed that I couldn't move.

Ahh, what should I do?

For some time, the Dark Shadow never moved nor did he make any sound and I was also frozen in my spot. I slowly opened my eyes and saw that he was sleeping. I slowly lifted my head to sit but his finger pushed my forehead down bringing me back to his lap.

"I thought you were sleeping." I faked laughed, trying to make it less awkward.

Just then, a knock came from the door.

"Miss, the General is back!" Xiao Yu notified me.

Upon hearing Xiao Yu's voice, I quickly stood up in panic.

"Quick! Hide!" I pulled him towards the large closet and pushed him in.

"Miss, are you okay? I'm coming in!" Xiao Yu shouted.

"No! Wait a minute!" I shouted back and faced the Dark Shadow, "Just stay there, don't move, okay?"

"Why?" The Dark Shadow raised his brows in question.

"Don't ask me why, just stay there." I pleaded and shut the door close.

"Miss, what are you doing?" Xiao Yu appeared from my back.

"I-I was just checking my old clothes." I lied as I strategically blocked my body from the closet.

"Oh, miss, do you want me to look for clothes which you can bring back to the Chen Manor?" Xiao Yu was about to reach her hand on the closet door but I stopped her.

"No, its okay. We don't need to." I smiled at Xiao Yu.

Xiao Yu's forehead scrunched in suspicion, "Miss, are you hiding a man in your closet?"

My smile stiffened.

Xiao Yu, how did you even know?

"Miss, I'm just joking." Xiao Yu laughed, "I know Miss is faithful and won't cheat on the First Prince."

I laughed along with Xiao Yu when all I wanted to do was cry. I pulled her out of my chambers, "Let's go see father."

Am I cheating?

I did act like I was hiding a lover.

The Dark Shadow and Chen Mu are the same person, right?

But Chen Mu does not know that I'm already aware of his other identity. What if he misunderstands me and think that I easily let "other men" get close to me?

"Xiao Yu, go ahead. I forgot something. I'll follow later." I instructed Xiao Yu as I ran back to my room.

I saw the Dark Shadow laying on my bed so I walked towards him and pulled him off.

"I am a married woman!"