Chapter Fifty Seven

I tightened my grip on Chen Mu's hand as we entered the Han Palace. I wasn't supposed to be here since I'm "pregnant" but Prince Mo Li came and took me with him. As to how they'll explain my sudden disappearance in the Chen Manor, I have no idea.

Unlike the Imperial Palace of the Xu, our empire, the Han palace was simple. No fancy decorations, no precious stones embedded on the walls, no luxurious items. Just plain stone corners and a few Han banners hanging from the walls.

The welcoming celebration has already started and the wide hall was full of people. There were girls playing the guzheng and another group of girls dancing to it. The chattering was minimal, as most eyes were glued on the tiny waists gyrating in the middle of the floor.

When the eunuch saw us, he immediately announced our entrance which silenced the lively hall. Curious gazes, most likely sizing up the new guests from their neighboring empire, made me feel uncomfortable. Chen Mu must have felt my discomfort as he gave me a soft squeeze and whispered that everything will be fine. I raised my head and gave him an assuring smile.

We proceeded in front of the throne and offered a bow to their emperor, "Greetings to Emperor Lu Fang Guo!"

"Rise! Rise!" The emperor bellowed, focusing his eyes on Chen Mu and ignoring my existence, "Mu'er no need to be courteous!"

Mu'er? Pfft.

Chen Mu raised his head, "Your majesty, I came with," and pulled me closer towards him, "Princess Bai Fan, my wife."

The emperor's wide grin stiffened but he quickly fixed his expression and laughed, "Of course, of course. Princess Bai Fan. Rise! Rise!"

We complied and as soon as I raised my head, I was greeted by the piercing glare of princess Lu Si who was seated on the far corner of the stage. I looked at her and gave her a mild smile while I hooked my hand on Chen Mu's arms, smoothly running my other hand over it.

Ahh, how solid...

Princess Lu Si, do you see this?

A eunuch approached us and led us to our seat then the emperor ordered the festivities to continue. Once again, the hall was filled with the floating sound of the stringed instrument. Even those who were eyeing us like preys were now only throwing us occasional glances.

We haven't even been seated for a while when I saw Princess Lu Si descend from the stage and walk towards us.

"Prince Chen Mu..." Princess Lu Si spoke with honey glazed voice and bowed in greetings, completely ignoring me.

Ahh, like father, like daughter.

Chen Mu bowed his head dismissively and turned to face me, "Fan'er, don't you like it? You haven't touched your food yet, it will get cold."

A flash of pain appeared on Princess Lu Si's face but she managed to mask it with a smile, "Princess Bai Fan, you're here too."

And I thought I was wearing an invisible cape.

"Princess Lu Si, wherever my husband goes, I will go." I told her, not raising my head to look at her.

I also turned to face Chen Mu and shook my head, "I lost my appetite."

Chen Mu furrowed his brows and picked up his chopstick, he took a piece of veal and plopped it into my mouth, "You need to eat."

"Fine." I laughed and opened my mouth for another bite.

Then I felt something strange, as if someone was poking holes in my head. I raised my head and saw Princess Lu Si still standing in front of us.

"Will big sister Bai Fan accompany me for a walk in the gardens? My father had brought new flowers from the East when he went to visit there. I'm sure big sister will like it." Princess Lu Si offered, still smiling.

Won't her jaws ache if she continues on keeping that creepy smile?

And what big sister? You want to snatch my husband and you still have the gall to call me big sister?

Chen Mu was about to speak but I stopped him, "I'll go with 'little sister'. I also need some fresh air."

"Are you sure?" Chen Mu asked in a low voice.

I nodded and followed Princess Lu Si out of the hall and into its back court. If the inside of the hall lacks extravagance, the outside was a different story. Different trees and flowers covered the vast land, golden decade old kois swim to and fro in the pond, there were even flocks of migratory birds resting along the horizon.

"Isn't it beautiful?" Princess Lu Si said as she saw the awe in my face.

"Truly beautiful." I agreed.

"Big sister have great taste."

"I do," I took a deep breath and faced Princess Lu Si, "Does 'little sister' have something to say to this 'big sister?'"

As much as I enjoyed the scenery, I'm more curious as to why Princess Lu Si suddenly wanted to take a walk. With me. If that makes sense.

"Big sister, don't you like me?" Princess Lu Si stared at me with hurt in her eyes.

Ehh, I didn't do anything. Don't look at me like that.

"'Little sister' is jesting." I let out an awkward laughter.

"I knew it! Big sister likes me!" Princess Lu Si suddenly clung on my arms and I was frozen on my spot, stupefied.

What is happening?

"I'm glad that big sister likes this little sister!" She inched closer towards me, basically plastering herself like a leech.

"Big sister likes me, then everything will be fine! We will all live harmoniously! This little sister will not be treated badly!" Princess Lu Si exclaimed in an exaggerated matter.

I managed to pull myself free from her hold and took a step back, giving us some distance.

Why is Princess Lu Si acting so weirdly?

Princess Lu Si noticed what I did and she looked at me with sad eyes, tears falling on her cheeks.

Eeeeeeeh!

"Was big sister lying? Does big sister hate Lu Si?" She muttered in between sobs.

"I don't hate you." I answered, bewildered by the scene that was unfolding in front of me.

Princess Lu Si wiped her tears and began smiling again.

I'm starting to get creeped out!

"As long as big sister doesn't hate me, the  everything is alright!" She was once again on a cheerful mood.

Girl, you need a psychiatrist. Don't worry, this big sister will pay for it!

"Since big sister doesn't hate me, I'm now at ease. My heart is at ease, my mind is at ease."

I raised my brows, "'Little sister' will you please enlighten this 'big sister.'"

"Big sister, I'm marrying into the Chen Manor!" She clapped happily.

Big sister your sister! Big sister your brother! Big sister your mother! Big sister your father! Big sister your grandmother! Big sister your grandfather! Big sister your entire family!

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻