Chapter Twenty Eight 2/2

As we were appreciating the plum blossoms at the palace gardens, a group of people have approached us.

"Greetings, Empress Hua." The royal concubine bowed and I followed.

The empress came with her entourage but what caught my attention was the girl wearing a flashy yellow dress hiding behind her. For some reason, she felt familiar.

"I came to appreciate the plum blossoms as well," the empress stated and turned to me, "Congratulations to your marriage yesterday, Princess Bai Fan."

"Thank you, your highness." I bowed once again.

"Though I was not able to attend, I hope you wouldn't take it against me." The empress expressed her regrets with a rigid smile.

"Your highness, I wouldn't dare."

The empress didn't attend my marriage ceremony? I thought she was there.

My vision was blocked the whole time during the ceremony so I just assumed she was there. I didn't even know which direction I was bowing.

The empress smiled and turned her gaze towards the flowering trees. She took a step forward revealing the yellow-dressed girl but she was holding a fan over her lower face.

Where have I seen those eyes?

"Empress Hua, Princess Bai Fan is already tired so we will take our leave. Enjoy the view," The royal concubine said and took my hand, "let's go Fan'er."

Though the empress and the royal concubine may appear civil with each other, you can still feel the heavy tension between the two.

When I wrote the story, I was on the side of empress since she's the male lead's mother but now that I'm already a part of the story, I'm leaning more towards my own mother-in-law.

Team Royal Concubine!

I followed mother but not before giving the girl holding a fan one last glance and just as I have guessed, it was the future crown princess.

Shu Ming An had a proud expression as she mockingly met my eyes. Just thinking that this girl would soon be the empire's mother made me shudder.

This empire will soon be doomed.

I ignored her challenging stance and continued on my way. I am too tired to deal with her right now.

I haven't seen the male lead and female lead for some time now. I wonder how they're doing.

I hope Ming Shu finds her protagonist halo and put Shu Ming An in her rightful place. Female lead, I'm rooting for you!

When we went back to the royal concubine's hall, Chen Mu was already there. We bid our goodbyes to mother and promised to come visit her again.

On our way back to the Chen Manor, I noticed Chen Mu staring at my waist. I consciously put my arms around it to cover it from his prying eyes.

"W-what?" I stuttered.

"Your pouch seemed heavier." He stated like a curious, innocent child.

My eyes widened remembering the tiny bottle which the royal concubine has given. I don't know how he noticed such small detail and though I'm a bit annoyed, I'm quite impressed with his observational skills.

I curse this pouch!

I untied the pouch from my waist belt and threw it out the small window of the carriage.

Not happening again!

I sighed in relief knowing that I have disposed of the evil liquid. But Chen Mu was looking at me like I was a weirdo. After the events that happened these past days, I think I did lose half of my sanity.

"Fan'er, I will leave tonight."

I raised my brows, "what do you mean?"

"I wouldn't be able to accompany you back to the Western Border." Chen Mu revealed.

On the third day after the marriage, the couple should go back to the wife's home as an expression of appreciation and respect to the wife's parents. It also shows how much the husband puts value on the wife. Going home without the husband would mean that the wife is not doted on.

"Where are you going?" I queried.

"Somewhere." He simply answered and closed his eyes.

Thank you for that very informative answer.

Though I'm a bit dismayed and sad at the same time, I'm sure he has his own reasons.

I guess I can just come up with some reasons to cover up for him when I go home. I'm sure father would question me about his absence.

When we arrived at the Chen Manor, Chen Mu went straight to his study room to fix some papers as I went back to his room. I still haven't decided on which courtyard I would choose so for the meantime, I'm occupying Chen Mu's room.

During dinner, Chen Mu informed that the Chen Manor's housekeeper will accompany me back to the Western Border along with several of his guards. He also said that he had already prepared the gifts to be presented to my father so I don't have to worry. After warning me not to climb walls or sneak out the manor and a quick peck on my lips, he left and I was left in a daze.

Xiao Yu's announcement brought me back to my senses.

"What did you say?"

Xiao Yu repeated what she said earlier. I quickly left my room and headed towards the receiving room.

"Miss!" The crying girl rushed towards me and engulfed me in a tight hug.

"Ming Shu, what are you doing here?"