Chapter Thirty Two

Father was happy to see me but the disappointment of not seeing Chen Mu accompany me back home was evident in his frown.

"Princess, where's the the first prince?" Father questioned me.

I have three choices to pick from.

First, Chen Mu was given an official assignment from the Emperor.

Pro - Father will not question me further.

Con - If I was caught lying and was found out to have used the Emperor's name, I will spend the rest of my life in jail.

Second, Chen Mu still has some unfinished business in the imperial capital and will follow tomorrow.

Pro - Father will understand.

Con - If Chen Mu does not arrive as I claimed, father will think lowly of my husband.

Third, Chen Mu is somewhere I have no idea of.

Pro - I didn't lie.

Con - Father will assume that Chen Mu is not treating me well and will probably find the first prince to cause trouble for him.

Though I know Chen Mu was in the Western Border since he visited me earlier, I couldn't really tell my father about it without exposing his identity. Chen Mu haven't even fully trusted me yet, I don't want to compromise the harmonious relationship we're slowly building.

"Father, the first prince has some official assignment from the Emperor." I lied.

Please pray for me.

"I see," Father nodded his head and patted my hand, "He can't abandon his duties as a prince. Do understand him."

I gave father a smile as a response.

Now, father is siding with you. Chen Mu, you owe me.

"Let's go. They're waiting for you."

Father walked me to the garden where the women have assembled and left towards the receiving room where the men were gathered.

"Princess Bai Fan!" They all bowed when they saw me enter the venue.

"I'm glad you're all here." I greeted them back.

Honestly, I have no idea who these ladies are. I've seen some familiar faces but I don't know their names or how they are related to me.

I whispered to Xiao Yu as I took the center seat, "Are you able to recognize any of them?"

"Miss, if you haven't avoided going to the socializing events, you wouldn't be so lost right now." Xiao Yu laughed seeing my dilemma.

I pouted. Xiao Yu was right but I'm not a fan of interacting with random people, unless its really needed. I have the soul of an hermit.

"Miss, the ladies on the right are your cousins." Xiao Yu pointed at the girls standing beside the man-made pond.

I have cousins?

Xiao Yu saw my confusion and explained, "their father, a literary scholar living in the Northern Border, is your mother's brother."

"Why haven't I met them before?" I was truly baffled how I'm so clueless of their existence. I knew of my mother's brother but not of his children.

"Miss, they invited you to their home countless times but you refused all of them." Xiao Yu reminded me.

Did I? Wow, I'm a terrible relative.

Xiao Yu informed me of everyone's identity and their relation to me and my father. The more I listen to her, the more I realize how I spent my life living like a recluse.