Santofsky: Behind the Scenes

Dave was the person Santana approached with her rocky relationship. Often she would just cry in his arms about how unfair it was. Brittany asked her to tell her what she felt with her, and when Santana finally told her, she was rejected and Artie Abrams was chosen over her.

Dave knocked some sense into her. "Look, Santana. I'm going to admit that was a bit of an asshole move, but think about it a little. With Abrams, she's safe. You already convinced her that you're not in love with her for the past few years. What if you just go back into that shell and hurt her even more than before?"

Santana could see the logic in it, but she wasn't going down without a fight. "I would never-"

"Never what? Hurt her? You already did. And by the way she feels about you, you can hurt her a lot more than that."

Then there were the times when Santana would comfort Dave, telling him to haul his ass up and just confess to Sebastian.

"H-he told me n-n-no one wou-would wanna date me," Dave didn't like showing his weaknesses to Santana, but when he did, he appreciated the comfort she provided him.

"Look, I'm usually a bitch, but that was a low blow. I'm not telling you to give up on him because that's what you told me not to do. I didn't give up on Britt, and see what happened? She broke it off with Artie and now I'm a step closer to being with her. You go prove to him you deserve to be with him. You understand me? Prove. It. To. Him. Because you're the sweetest damn gay I've ever met."

With that, she would just embrace him until his sobs transitioned into hiccups, and soon they would fade away until his breathing evened out and his heart slowed its hasty thumping.

Even after their "breakup" as a beard couple, they remained close friends and companions of comfort.

When Santana was shoved out of the flannel closet (when the campaign ad came out and exposed her sexuality to the entire state), Dave feared for not only her, but himself. If this was what it would be like to be an out gay in a place like Ohio, he wasn't sure he was ready. He wasn't sure he would ever be ready.

Santana cried harder than ever before, and all he could do was stroke her back soothingly.

"Just be glad that you can be with Brittany now. She and the glee club and I will be there to protect you, okay?" He smoothed her hair and gently pulled back to look at her in the eyes. "You have so many people that love you, okay? Stick with them."

Dave finally found hope after seeing just how overjoyed Santana was now that she was out and happy with Brittany. At the same time, however, he felt as though he wouldn't have as many supporters as she did. He didn't have a whole glee to back him up when things got tough. Then to add to that, both Kurt and Sebastian were ignoring him.

Then he was outted. He was utterly and completely eradicated. Santana called and texted him with her worry. He didn't answer any of them. There was nothing left for him anymore. No one loved him enough to keep this from happening. No one cared about him. It was getting too difficult to breathe. To move. He was already dead inside. He might as well just end it all.

Santana was beyond angry and upset when she heard about his attempted suicide. "Y-you..." she trailed off, her accusing finger shaking. Her breathing hastened its pace, tears pricking at the corner of her eyes.

Dave could only offer a weak smile in return. He was glad that someone cared. "I'm sorry," he croaked feebly.

"You encouraged me so much when I was outted, David Karofsky. It's my job as your friend to keep you from hurting yourself. I care about you, Dave. D-don't you dare do this ag-again." Her lip quivered as she continued, "Don't y-you do th-this again. Got that? You-you hear m-me?"

As more and more people came to visit him (Sebastian included) the more Dave felt that he was wanted. Needed. Cared for. Appreciated.

It was all thanks to Santana.

A/N

So I was thinking about making a glee joint account but I'm not sure who I should ask. Would any of you be willing or do you know anyone who would want to make one with me? We could write a bunch of different stories about our different ships so the account would have a wide variety. And we wouldn't even have to make the entire thing glee; it could be multifandom.

That's just a thought. Anyway, I wrote this one-shot because the Santofsky friendship should've been way more highlighted. I'm also probably going to do a part 2 of this because I liked writing about these two so much. If you liked it, please vote and comment! Happy reading!