Chapter 4 - Working For a Living (Huey Lewis and the News)

NATE

***

I got some tiny bras or 'over-the-shoulder boulder holders'  as my brothers called them. Shortly thereafter I was gifted with my first period. An event I dubbed....'Nates Blood-Fest Orgy'.

Cue another major meltdown when I convinced myself I'd surely haemorrhage to death. Despite Mum having given me the lowdown in preparation months before.

Life went on regardless. Well....for most of us anyways.

Gran passed away in her sleep at the ripe old age of eighty-seven. Still continent in bodily functions but not so much in mind.

After watching her favourite telly show 'Australia's Next Top Model', I tucked her up in bed. She was giddy with happiness. Having convinced herself that she was one of the final three contestants.

Said she had a secret to tell me. So I leaned close to hear it.

"I'm glad you got kicked out tonight, Nate. Cos now I'm a shoo-in to win!"  Granny giggled, her happy deep-blue eyes twinkling up at me.

"Pfffft!  There was never any doubt about that, Gran!"  I smiled in agreement.

Smooched her wrinkled cheek before she promptly fell asleep....with a big shit-kicking grin on her face.

And never woke up.

Mum was sad, me too. Because Gran was the first big loss in my life and I missed her.

But every time I saw that cheeky grin of hers in my head? I couldn't help but crack up with laughter and love....rather than cry.

The second loss wasn't so easy to deal with.

I graduated high school ages before the rest of my class. Which ticked Shae off no end.

Dad crowed as only he could. But Mum said the school couldn't wait to get rid of me. Because my teachers were embarrassed by the fact....that I knew way more useless rubbish than they did.

She always kept me grounded  😄

Anyways, I was invited to return and attend the Graduation Ball alongside my gang.

By then I'd finally grown into my body a bit. Still lanky and slim, but with a bit more roundness to my shape. Thanks to some muscle definition gained by hours of physical labour.

It still felt hella weird to me....getting looks of lust and longing from boys my own age? But it was downright freaky, getting the same if not more intense gazes from my brother's mates.

And even some of Dad's male friends?

ICK!  😖

Mum made me a beautiful dress.

The first and until the end of the world, only one I'd ever been coaxed into wearing. It clung in all the right places yet didn't draw too  much attention to my blossoming body.

Much to Dad's relief.

With my blue eyes shining bright, warm clear skin (pimple years come and gone....yay) and straight, shiny long brown hair? I was the much-admired object of my family's attention.

Oh, and did I mention my bright red cheeks....from the sheer embarrassment of it all?

Except, the much-anticipated night wasn't to be.

The ball had only just started to get underway in the local Town Hall. But before the punch could be spiked or tonsils tickled during slow dances? The awful news swept through.