Chapter 72 - Hunting Ground (Max Sharam)

NATE

My heart is breaking....but not for me.

Glenn is positively beside himself with rage.

He wants to go back to Woodbury and wipe them out. Knows he can't do it and the frustration is killing him. Eating him up from the inside and out.

And he's pushing everyone away....especially Maggie.

Won't even talk to me either. We have a special kind of friendship. Almost like Carol has with Daryl?

He was the first one of our family I got to know back in Atlanta. Him and Teddy Bear welcoming me? I'll never forget Glenn swinging me around in happiness when we met each other again.

I'm watching him pacing the prison courtyard now. Wondering sadly if that sweet, happy....slightly geeky guy will ever come back.

And Maggie?

She's inside her old cell at the moment, resting up with a napping Judith.

She stayed with me in my tower last night, as did Michonne. All of us watching and waiting. And during the early hours, she relived what the Governor did to her.

Made her feel more than helpless. Took away her dignity....even though he barely touched her. Created terror through humiliation.

Her feelings of abandonment by Glenn. She needs him now like never before.

And knows he needs her but keeps pushing her away....won't even look at her. They're each other's anchors. But those anchors have slipped off their chains and now they're floundering.

Not even Hershel can bring them together.

He, Carol and Carl are in mourning almost. They've all known Daryl for way longer than I. Rely on him for so much. Not just for what he does....but simply for who he is.

Rick especially is feeling the loss of his right-hand man. Staunchest supporter and....his best friend.

I want to help them, have tried so hard. Yet it's almost as if they're all pushing me away? Don't want to burden me with their hurts, thinking I must be devastated myself.

I am. Except to me? Daryl is gone and he's never coming back.

End of story....again.

We weren't partners, engaged or married. There were no promises or commitments. We started getting to know each other....comfort each other. Torment and piss each other off.

Hell, he's never even kissed me!

Though I'm positive....pretty sure anyways....that it was simply a matter of time?

But instead? He left. No looking back.

So I won't either. Just wish everyone else would get over it and let me be!

My heart is breaking....but not for me.

I concentrated on my hatred for that Governor and his men. Waiting for them to show up here or for us to go after them. End this once and for all. So my family can start healing again.

Know Michonne feels the same.

Rick still doesn't trust her....wants her gone. But Maggie and I fought him tooth and nail on that one.

Last night she told us about him, the Governor. Keeping his walker daughter chained up. His personal collection of severed heads. Some walkers....some not.

How she tried to kill him but couldn't succeed because that Andrea had stopped her. Andrea, who was part of this family originally and whom Mich saved. She's now the Governor's bed buddy.