Chapter 10 - Do You See What I See? (Hunters and Collectors)

NATE

I'm so glad you guys survived those first days and that you're still here with us. Hope too that you had yourselves a 'Leo', helping to get you through it.

I dare even Bear Grylls to survive this  on his own!

*

After two days, Leo announced we're literally scaring ourselves and each other to death. And not eating, sleeping....barely drinking? Are all making a bad situation super dangerous.

We need to do something. Anything to stop thinking about it for even a little while.

Huh....we can but try!

Once dawn broke on the third day of our rooftop exile, Leo wrapped his arms around me. Brought us to our feet. I snuggled into him and we both stood there. Until the sun's rays hit our red, gritty and swollen eyes.

"Crikey, you stink"  I let him go and we just held hands.

"Well you've got a fair waft of the Eau de Colonic about you as well, Little Miss"  He responded with a shadow of a smile.

"So....it looks like this is going to be 'home sweet home'  for a while. Maybe we should do something about making ourselves a bit more comfortable?"

"Great minds think alike. Let's get our butts moving, shall we?"  I answered.

Firstly, I set up my solar chargers then attached my phone and tablets. Hopefully, there might still be some kind of service? So we can find out something about what's going on around us.

We started by thoroughly exploring our immediate surroundings. Moving about quietly, as we've got no idea if those things are a couple of floors below us now.

And we know from the last couple of days of observation over the street below. That making any kind of noise draws them in like a swarm of angry bees.

There's plenty of rainwater as the two tanks are full. Enough at least for a few months of drinking, sponge baths and cooking?

We each have a decent couch to sleep on. Plenty of table space to set up a little camp kitchen using the BBQ.

Our view is clear for a few blocks on two sides. However, on the others there are a couple of buildings at least ten stories taller than the hostel.

It's making me feel more than a bit uncomfortable....being so overlooked. Out in the open. Not going to mention my reasoning why to Leo just yet. Don't want to freak him out before we've even started getting our asses into gear.

I suggested we go back down to the kitchen and grab everything of use. It makes sense to have as many supplies as possible close by. In case that floor is ever breached.

It's a scary as fuck scenario. What's more terrifying though?

The thought of being stuck here on the roof. With a bunch of un-dead between us and a food supply.

We know they won't touch it themselves as they appear to only enjoy flesh. And even then....they prefer it to be either alive or recently breathing.

Leo heartily agreed with my idea.

So, we worked for a few hours hauling everything up. Except what remains in the fridges and freezers.

Leo reasoned we can bring up a day's supply of cold food each morning. Until it either runs out, spoils or the power grid collapses.

The tinned and other dry food can be stored....kept aside until that happens.

We figured it's worth the risk of entering the kitchen each day. Once it's gone we won't open the roof door again unless absolutely necessary.