Chapter 79 - All Out Of Love (Air Supply)

DARYL

There are about twenty of em. Mostly old folk....a few kids even.

They're the only ones left alive now. But only cos they couldn't fight for the Governor.

Can't leave em behind to fend for themselves....will be way too cruel. Condemning them for what that maniac did?

Besides, the fucker might come back here and slaughter all of em as well.

They're scared as anything but they trust Karen, Tyreese and Sasha. And those three? Put their own  trust in us.

We gave em all a little bit of time to gather up some of their belongings. Packed as much as we could into an old school bus. Promising we'll come back on a few runs to get the rest.

Fitted some folk on the bus with the rest between Rick and Nate's cars. It's a tight squeeze, but still not enough room though.

"Michonne? You drive Nate's car. Nate....you go on with Daryl"  Rick ordered.

She simply nodded and slung her rifle over her good shoulder. Then silently mounted my bike behind me.

I waited until she settled before reaching back. Gripping her wrists gently before slowly drawing her hands around....to where they always should be.

I'm bein mindful of her shoulder. Cos I know by the way her face keeps pinching up that it's giving her holy hell.

That and her tiger eyes.

She didn't struggle against me. Just tightened her grip around my waist and lay her head on my back. Holding me close, just as I used to hold her in our bed every night.

Once we were on the road I put my hand over hers and kept it there until we got to the prison.

Felt all kinds of fine to me.

It's baby steps though....know I still got meself a long ways to go. Makin her mine again.

*

Didn't make any progress at all over the next few weeks, we're just too busy. Gettin these new folk settled in the prison.

It's a big shock to them, especially after what they had at Woodbury. Still, I have to give em credit. They've all pitched in as best they can and never once complain.

Fall into my bed late each night, totally exhausted....and lonely as all fuck. Miss talkin and listenin to her as much as I miss holding her.

Just miss everything that's....her.

It's hard, as none of them Woodbury people can really fend for themselves. Can't go out on runs and all that. That falls to the rest of us.

Carol, Michonne, Nate, Glenn, Mags and me.

Me, Michonne and Nate are the only ones allowed out of the compound on our own. Cos we're the best equipped to look after ourselves. Plus we work quicker alone and cover much more ground. The others have to go in pairs.

At least the older folk have very happily taken on the bulk of the tasks inside. Cookin, cleanin and doing the laundry.

Hell....one of em even managed to get my boxers white again  😮

Though some of em can do guard duties, a bit of walker killin at the fences. And Judith now has a whole posse of Gramma's and Grampa's at her beck and call.

I appreciate it now. What that Guillermo and his group of Latinos did back in Atlanta? It ain't easy....nuthin good ever comes easy.

But that Tyreese and Sasha pitch in mighty well too.

They'd been out for a long time on the run. Had only joined Woodbury a few weeks before all the shit started to hit the fan. So they're more than able to look out for themselves. A real welcome addition I reckon.

Carol calls them and Nate 'The Three Amigos'  as they're usually always together. Whenever Nate is actually in  the prison.

Michonne ain't been around much either. She keeps going out, tryin to find that asshole. Reckons none of us will be safe until he's gone for good.

Sometimes I think she's right and others....well....I reckon we need her more. And killin him won't bring Andrea back.

Nate has set up them drone things of hers and shown Carl how to use em.

Am still a fair bit pissed at him, after findin out how he'd shot that youngster. Tryin to show his ol' man that he can do what needs to be done, no second chances.

What Rick failed to do with Andrew.

Dumb little shit!

He already has it in him....didn't need to kill no one just to prove it. And certainly not slaughter another scared as all fuck kid!

Tomorrow, we're starting our first run together since before she got shot. Nate and me I'm talkin about. Two nights....possibly three?

Her and Carl used them drones. Found what they reckon might be one of those survivalist places....minus the survivors.

The committee decided Nate can't go on her own this time....way too dangerous. So they told her she has to take me along. Ordered actually.

I'm on the committee  😉

So are Hershel, Mags, Carol and Glenn. The Old Man's idea to make one, giving Rick a break. So he can get back to just being a Dad for a while.

Who woulda thought, huh? That a redneck piece of white trash from Fannin County in the Appalachia's of North Georgia....would end up being a politician.

I can hear Merle pissin hisself laughin in my ear.

*

"Need to talk to yer....about Nate."

I leaned against the railing, up on the second floor of C block.

Carol is sorting out some more supplies that Nate and Sasha brought back from Woodbury yesterday.

"So, you don't subscribe to the no gossip code then? Or talking behind someone's back?"  Carol gave me a wink and a smile.

"Stop"  I growled back.

"Awwww, what is it....Pookie?"

Jeezus! Hatin that fuckin nickname.

She's in one real shit stir mood today.

"Me and Nate are goin on that run tomorrow, yer know? Ain't had much chance to talk to her lately. Talk at all actually....make things right again between us."

Get to the point, Dumbass!

"I'm thinking, might talk to her a bit tonight? Kinda start smoothin things over. Then maybe, tomorrow morning and the run mightn't be so....weird."

Didn't have the right words for how it might feel. Especially after so long. Never really being alone with each other after....well.

"I think that's a very good idea, Daryl. But why are you telling me for?"

She's no longer winding me up, can see I'm being serious about this. Not often that I talk about proper personal stuff to anyone but Nate that is. I mean was....I mean....

....awwww shit....

"Need yer help? Been tryin my darndest. Just can't ever get her alone, too many damn people about now. All them old folk have taken her over."

"Can't get near her or Lil' Ass-Kicker no more"  I grumbled.

Carol and me? Between us, we came up with a plan. Not perfect, but hopefully it'll work. Just need to get her on her lonesome.

So I can talk to her and make some long-overdue apologies. Then....get my ass into gear and finally tell her. Show her.

Our plan probably would've worked real good too.

If Beth hadn't been hunkered down in a cell nearby, stayin quiet as a mouse.

Didn't even know she was there....listenin to every word we said.