Chapter 76 - Sacrifice (Elton John)

DARYL

I stomped my way back to the common room. Swearin under my breath the whole way and fighting the urge to kill something.

Goddamn bitch!

What an actress. Pretending she's happy I'm back, as if I've never even been away. That things will just carry on as they have been.

Wonder how long she's been stewing about me dumpin her ass?

Threw my gear in the corner then trudged over to join Hershel and Rick at one of the tables. Thankfully, they hadn't heard Nate and me having it out. Just like my ol' man and Ma used to.

"We gotta plan?"  I asked Rick.

"Yeah. We'll need some help getting it done though"  I understood him immediately.

"I'll go speak to him"  Meaning convince Merle.

"No, I'll do it in the morning"  Rick peered straight back and I nodded once I got his meaning.

He isn't gonna let me  ask my  brother to become his  henchman.

We sat in silence for a little while, each of us lost in our thoughts. Mine are just one big, hot-tangled mess.

"Dunno why yer asked her opinion. Shouldn't have second guessed yerself. Yer knew what she'd say"  I tried to make him feel a bit better about our decision.

"Didn't know she'd feel so strongly about it. No....that's a lie. Deep down, I knew. And that's why I had to give her a chance I think? To change our minds."

"Hershel told us right at the start didn't he? She just does it, the right thing. Doesn't think about it....simply knows it and does it. Nate's made it this far because of that"  What Rick is sayin startled me.

Talk about a coincidence huh?

"Didn't know she had such a temper though. Wish I could say she's a bitch"  He tried to joke.

"I just wish I could say that she's wrong"  Hershel announced sadly once he stood up.

Rick and I peered at him....then each other.

Yeah....

*

They left.

I grabbed my gear again and went to one of the empty guard towers. My temper has gone, don't feel like killin nuthin anymore.

Well....maybe not tonight anyways  😣

Lay down on the floor and put my hands under my head, staring out the window. The moon moved behind the clouds and the room suddenly became darker. Just like my head.

It's more than important to me.

When someone leads, they have to know yer have their back. One hundred percent. And when they make a decision on behalf of yer family....for the good of yer family? Yer gotta support it too, no matter what.

Otherwise, there'll be no leaders....no decisions....

....and no chance.

Except....Rick's decision ain't right. Is it, Dixon?

It's wrong, more than fuckin wrong. Yer can see it now, so don't kid yerself otherwise anymore.

Went against everything I ever believed in. Still believe in. Yet I caved and supported him. But Nate? She stuck to her guns. And that's what really pissed me off.