Chapter 51 - Hungry Town (Big Pig)

NATE

"From the maps I found in the guard's office? We've got a fair ways to go before we make it to the mess hall. Probably a lot of dead prisoners between here and there. We've got us the riot gear, but not enough for everyone."

"Nate? I need you to stay here in C block and keep everyone safe"  Rick ordered, handing over a spare set of master keys.

I tried to hide my stunned look at his acceptance....the absolute trust he's placing in me. Such a huge leap of faith. To put the well-being of your family in the hands of a nearly total stranger?

He placed his palms on my shoulders. Gently turning me to face him as the others started prepping.

"Hey, you're here now....one of us. No need to prove anything to me because I trust you. Ok? "

All I can do is nod my head furiously. Try to stop leaking a bit as he continues with the orders.

"Lock the gate from here to the common room. We'll do the same on the other side. Keeps a buffer, in case we get some followers on our way back."

He then added in a low voice.

"Watch your  back....and I don't just mean walkers."

Can only hazard a guess he's referring to Beth.

Wonder if everyone else knows as well? How high a rung I've unintentionally managed to climb on her dislike ladder.

I was positive that Daryl also held me in the same lower-than-low regard. But his behaviour last night and this morning has confused the hell out of me.

Snarky, caring, grumpy, shy, proud, patient, sarcastic, tender? He's an emotional tornado of feelings and I've been introduced to so many of them over the last few days.

Wonder what the hell is still to come?

Still, I'm way glad I finally got my chance to apologise.

What I did to him in Atlanta has weighed heavily on me for such a long time. Never dreamed I'd ever get the opportunity to try and make good. That we'd meet up again I mean.

Wish I hadn't waited until this morning though. Still....I felt so much better in myself afterwards.

And even though I was uber pissed off at first? Then guilty at keeping him and his partner apart, having him stay with me last night?

It was uncomfortable yet strangely comforting at the same time. Doesn't quite make sense, eh?

Shan't kid myself though, it's deffo a one-off event. Won't....can't ever let it happen again.

Otherwise, I'll never be able to get him out of my head and back with Carol. Where he obviously belongs.

Out of sight....and out of my mind. As if, huh  😞

*

I helped Maggie, Hershel, Glenn and Teddy Bear get suited up in the cleanest of the riot gear. However, Daryl flatly refused. Can't say I blame him really.

Then I returned to the cell block. Locking myself, Carol, Carl, Lori and Beth in.

As I did, I noticed Daryl steadily watching me. Eventually, he gave the tiniest of nods, before locking the gate shut at his end.

This time, I watched him. And before their little group went out of view he glanced back once more. Our eyes met again for the briefest of seconds.

Though it's probably just a trick of the light in here.