Chapter 38 - Message in a Bottle (Police)

**********

"C'mon, Old Man. We gotta get movin!"  Daryl's gruff voice floated over.

Hershel sat on a log at the side of the road. Signing his name off before folding the paper up. He stood and stretched his back, still feeling the fullness in his stomach.

They all feasted hugely, thanks to his invisible little friend. Slept in warmth then woke up safe once more.

He slid the note into an empty bottle and tied it to the sign that'd been left for him.

Daryl reached his side. Peered from Hershel to the bottle and back again.

"World goes to shit and yer go get yerself a pen pal?"  He growled with a tiny grin.

Hershel gave a small chuckle in response. He knows that Daryl tells it as he sees it. And most times he doesn't have a filter between his brain and mouth.

At first? He thought he's nothing more than a loudmouth punk with a huge chip on his shoulder. But soon saw the good, honest and honourable man who's being hidden so well underneath.

And that good man deserves his respect....has very much earnt it over the last months. Hershel is more than proud to call him a friend.

"She asked me to write her and that's exactly what I've done. She helped us, Daryl....even though she's the one who desperately needs our  help I think?"  Hershel answered patiently.

He got a confused look at that last comment.

"You've heard the saying 'read between the lines'  haven't you?"  Daryl nodded back.

"Well, I read. And what she didn't say is scaring me witless. My little friend was going home when she left me in that bar....back to her family in Atlanta."

"Where are they? Why is she out here alone now? Stockpiling supplies and giving them to us instead? Giving herself 'something to do'....?"

"No....something bad has happened. More than bad I'm thinking."

"I reckon that little girl is like a strand of silk, being stretched to breaking point. I'm scared that strand is going to snap very....very  soon. And when it does? She might lose something very precious."

"So if me writing back to her can help stop that? Then I'll sit here and write a million letters....whatever it takes."

"Why do yer care so much? A total stranger that yer spent a few hours with. In a bar....gettin pissed"  Daryl added the last bit under his breath.

"That total stranger cared more than enough, to save the life of an old man. One who was tossing a coin on swallowing another mouthful of whisky....or swallowing a bullet."

Daryl's face couldn't hide his shock.

Hershel hadn't told anyone about THAT?

All he'd said was....they met and the girl stayed with him. Talked with him. Saw him safe until his people came.

Everyone thought it was a total figment of his imagination....simply the bottle talking. The encounter had never been mentioned since. Pretty much forgotten actually.

"Like father like daughter, eh?"  Daryl observed, but not cruelly.

"Stepdaughter...."  Hershel replied absently, earning himself another confused look.

"Beth is my stepdaughter, second marriage. And don't think for a minute it was a suicide attempt on her part. She knew exactly where to cut for maximum effect"  He added bitterly.

"What do yer mean by that, Old Man?"  Gasped Daryl....horrified.

Hershel sighed in sorrow.

"Her mother and I tried, but she's a law unto herself. Selfish, self-centred....and a wonderful actress. Everything Beth's done....ever will  do....is solely for her own benefit. And she craves attention in the worst possible way."

"I'm ashamed to say this, Daryl. I love her because I loved her mother. But....a lot of the time....I truly don't like her very much at all."

"Always wondered why she and Maggie seem to be tryin to kill each other all the time. Guess she don't like her much either, huh?"  Daryl mused.

He sensed Hershel's discomfort at his family's disharmony, so steered the conversation back on track.

"So, why do yer care so much....cos of what happened at the bar?"

Hershel looked Daryl straight in the eyes.

"She taught me the real meaning of faith and hope. Her hope though? That's the precious thing I believe she's losing."

"And she's a very precious thing too. One that we....our family can't afford to lose."

Hershel sighed, his face now displaying the fear and helplessness he's feeling.

Daryl peered at him....pensively.

Feeling the worry and agitation coming off the older man in waves. Thought hard over what he can do to help settle him, because it hurts to see him like this.

To Daryl? Hershel is now much more  than a friend. He's family.

"All that stuff yer just said, that yer so worried about. Did yer write that....to her?"  He asked quietly.

"No, son."

Daryl grabbed the bottle from the sign. Shook out the notepaper, then handed it back to Hershel.

"We can wait a bit"  He tossed over his shoulder as he walked away.

Hershel stared at the angel wings on the back of Daryl's biker vest. Then shook his head....smiling in admiration and gratitude.

He turned, squatted back down on the log....and started writing again.

NATE

I waited until the next morning before returning to the drop-off point.

Saw numerous footprints and evidence of where they'd loaded up their vehicles with the supplies. A couple of empty crates lay abandoned at the side of the track.

Threw them back into the car with a happy sigh.

When I turned again I spied the sign I'd left at their campsite for Hershel. A bottle is hanging from it and inside is a note.

I gave a small smile at his 'letterbox'.

Resisting the temptation to read it straight away, I jumped into the Jeep. Headed back to the bar.

Think I've earnt myself the rest of the day off?

After unpacking and stowing the empty crates, I lay on my little makeshift bed in the cellar. Surrounded by the staggering remainder of the supplies I've gathered over the last few months.

I'm sure there's still more than enough. For when Guille, Leo and the others arrive?

'Won't be too much longer'  I promised myself.

My body relaxed, and I began to read.