Chapter 65 - Fall At Your Feet (Crowded House)

NATE

The next morning everyone chipped in to help unload the truck. Including Rick.

He's cleaned himself up a bit and is even carrying his daughter around. With Carl hovering protectively and giving him advice like a protective nanny  🤣

They seem to have finally come together again, bonding through their grief.

Daryl, Axel and Carol know the extent of the supplies I hoarded. But when the others stood at the doors and they opened before them? Well....anyone would think it's Christmas.

"I recognise these!"

Hershel held up boxes of pharmaceuticals and went into raptures over all the medical stuff.

"Yup. When you told me how you made a living? It got me thinking. And sure enough most of the veterinary places were untouched. Read some library books and learnt the medicines are basically the same."

They're also the places I hated going into the most.

Wept almost non-stop every time. Seeing the little mummified bodies of all the poor animals in locked cages....

We stowed the fuel at various points around the prison rather than all together. In case of an accident. The food went into the cell block along with general supplies.

Carol has commandeered a few empty cells so she can sort and lock it all up. She'll be in charge of stores from now on. It's plain to see, she can't wait to start her new job.

I made sure everyone was especially  careful. While unloading the dozen or so large canvas duffle bags and secure cases that I kept apart from the rest.

They saw why upon opening them.

In addition to hundreds of knives, swords and machetes? There's an assortment of grenades, tear gas, smoke bombs, guns and ammo.

Rick and Daryl's jaws dropped in shock. Especially when they clapped eyes on the RPG I used in Atlanta.

"Found a lot of them in houses or behind counters in stores. Then I stumbled across one of those doomsday places. The owners never made it to their safe haven in time"  I explained.

Daryl just clicked his tongue and shook his head, no doubt thinking me insane.

Yup, I'd taken some chances for sure.

But I'm not stupid!

Always weighed up the risk to the reward and planned....acted accordingly.

Just as Jorge had taught me.

A load of hardware and gardening equipment including seeds are now stored in the outer workshops.

We'll start prepping the fields over winter in readiness for spring planting. There's plenty of tubing and pumps for an irrigation system. I told Hershel I'm going to scout around for some tanks next.

That's when Oscar piped up....

"I was a welder back in the day, can knock some together. We'll get a water collection system going. Build you some greenhouses too, Nate. You, Maggie and Hershel can teach us what to do?"

"Always wanted to be a gentleman farmer"  His grin is as huge as he is  😁

The only thing I didn't scrounge much of was in the way of baby supplies. I grabbed heaps of disposables and stuff because they have lots of uses. But no formula.

Which is pretty bloody stupid of me because it's still food....DOH!

And that's what we're running desperately short of. There's only a few weeks' worth left of the tins Maggie and Daryl found.